• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

black radish

sagestrat

Grate it, salt it and let stand for half an hour. Squeeze it as dry as possible (the juices can irritate the stomach) and dress with EVOO. It goes well with olives and black or rye bread

Ruth Friedman

Slicing it "TISSUE PAPER" thin is better than grating or shredding. Then the salting process as Ruth mentions.

This way is 'THE' accompaniment with drinking German Beer and soft Pretzels.

Well, goes as any snack, but best when having something robust with it (Buendner Fleisch)

Peter

I love black radish! I peel it and grate it. (I used to use the 4-sided hand grater, but I now do it with the grating disk in my food processor.) I don't salt it. I add lots of very thinly sliced onions -- preferably Vidalia or another sweet onion -- and some freshly ground black pepper. Then I dress the mixture with vegetable or peanut oil. It's my favorite accompaniment to chopped liver. :smile::smile:

Oh, and when I buy black radish, I always get a kick out of the perplexed look on the faces of the supermarket check-out people. When they go to punch in the code, they never know what it is. :laugh:

• 2 months later...

Just had some sliced on rye bread with a liberal shmear of french butter. Wow.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host