• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

13 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This clever method for making caccio e pepe pizza is worth a whirl.

@Chris Hennes did something quite similar following the recipe in Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza and shared his result just upthread here.

He had much more success than I did when I tried it.  The ice is supposed to melt into hot, starchy water which turns into a cheesy sauce when you add the grated pecorino Romano cheese.  Much of my crust blistered up, pushing the water into a small, deep pool in one corner.  I sprinkled the cheese on and shook the pizza as directed but just got a glob of thick cheesy stuff in that pool surrounded by hills topped with dry cheese.  I think I'd need a lot of practice to get it right!

Edited to add this photo of my sorry attempt.  I made it last year but I was too embarrassed to post!

IMG_1945.thumb.jpeg.e7298716612be9b505eb084be3615953.jpeg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

4 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This clever method for making caccio e pepe pizza is worth a whirl.

@Chris Hennes did something quite similar following the recipe in Marc Vetri's Mastering Pizza and shared his result just upthread here.

He had much more success than I did when I tried it.  The ice is supposed to melt into hot, starchy water which turns into a cheesy sauce when you add the grated pecorino Romano cheese.  Much of my crust blistered up, pushing the water into a small, deep pool in one corner.  I sprinkled the cheese on and shook the pizza as directed but just got a glob of thick cheesy stuff in that pool surrounded by hills topped with dry cheese.  I think I'd need a lot of practice to get it right!