• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine and Health

Craig Camp

• 1 year later...

From Science Daily . . .

But we do know that red wine has fairly high levels of the compound, and this study would suggest at least one mechanism for possible health benefits of red wine. It may help prevent fat development and storage."

Whoopee! Drinking red wine may help me lose weight.

Unfortunately, I also learned that it takes two hours for a woman to metabolize 5 oz. of wine. :sad:

Here's a link to a previous discussion on the health benefits (or not) of wine . . .

Is moderate drinking a myth? Health benefits of wine

I want to fit into my size 6 dresses again, but I'm surrounded by barrels and barrels of fine wine! I drink far more than 5 oz. of wine a night. And when I'm stressed, nothing soothes me more completely than a 16 oz. glass of red wine. Any tips for boosting my self-control, kickstarting my metabolism (which I suspect has become sluggish due to enthusiastic and regular consumption), and losing weight, while continuing to enjoy wine?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Add more exercise to your day. A bottle of wine contains about 500 calories, which is roughly what I burn during my morning workout (60 mins on an elliptical trainer.) So for me it all evens out. :smile:

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

A bottle of wine contains about 500 calories, which is roughly what I burn during my morning workout (60 mins on an elliptical trainer.)  So for me it all evens out.  :smile:

I like the way you think! I've just started a 45 min. per day regimen, but at my current lethargic rate, I'm not burning 500 calories yet. Thinking about that goal as "a bottle of wine" will definitely keep me stepping! :raz:

Store your wine at Norman Winery and walk there to get a glass :laugh:

Raoul

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

• 11 months later...

Boost your dietary fiber withh a glass of red wine?

Most laden with fibre was a tempranillo with monastrell, with 1.37 grams of fibre in every litre, similar to levels found in tomatoes. The wine with the lowest fibre content was a white rueda verdejo with 0.19 grams of fibre a litre.

Dietary fibre is made up of indigestible proteins which are considered a crucial part of a healthy diet. The winemaking process introduces fibre into wine from yeast and the flesh and skins of grapes.

In Europe, average dietary fibre intake varied from 16 to 21 grams a day, but in Spain, the average level was only 5.3g a day.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook