• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYO's, once and for all!

Kim WB

From a diners perspective, this is how I see it:

Pro: 1.save money

2. know that you'll have a bottle you like

3.opportunity to pair your best bottles with professionally prepared food

Con: 1.cannot use in a business entertaining situation

2.without research, cannot be sure what you bring will match food

3.If interested in apperatifs, cocktails, brandy, etc, you need to bring scotch, grand marnier, etc.

4. Usually get lousy wine service and lousy glasses

5. Have to shlep the wine and trimmings with you

ok, what did I miss?

You don't always get nice glasses, professional service and an interesting wine list in a restaurant with a liquor license. How many people have had their whole bottle of wine poured before they are served their entree?

I think it is also a matter of what you like. I prefer BYO; don't mind bringing my own glasses and wine; don't drink hard liquor; don't really care if the wine is not an exact match for the food; and I don't entertain for business. Lowell automatically opens our bottles as the waiter can't get to our table soon enough. So your BYO "cons" are not a problem for me. But I certainly understand your points.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Have large collection to drink (900) and many friends with more than I have and greater depth of age.

Usually decant and pour myself so wine service is excellent.

Usually bring my own glassware. Not a bother to me.

Can use in a business setting. Have done so many times.

Matching wine with food is great in theory, but then all at your table pick such diverse foods it is practically impossible to match them all, so you order safe wines that you could have brought in the first place.

Kim you really don't see it from a diners perspective. You see it from Kim's perspective and therefore you cannot be wrong. But I am a diner also. I see it very differently. So for me I am right also.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Hey folks, I am Majadero and tough to like.

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

Kim you really don't see it from a diners perspective.  You see it from Kim's perspective and therefore you cannot be wrong.  But I am a diner also.  I see it very differently.  So for me I am right also.

Well, I guess I see it from a Kim, the diner perspective..but I was trying to be more objective, listing the pro and cons...I mean, for some people saving money might not be a pro...it's all subjective. I just thought there might be additional pros and cons out there..such as yours, looking to "use up" your wine cellar...which is a very legitimate reason for preferring a BYO, in my opinion.

There are different types of business entertaining, and Iassure you, the kind that the people I work with expect cannot be done in a BYO..unless I carted in bottles of Glen Livett, Vodka, little onions, etc. :smile:

I know people think I hate BYO's, but that's not the case. There are a few I am quite fond of, and my husband and I enjoy regularly...there is an Italina strip mall place a few minutes away that makes great veal and pasta dishes, we go at least twice a month. And a new favorite sushi place in Princeton keeps the sake cups there for us, we just bring in the bottle. So when I point out something like glasses, I understand its not a major inconveneince, but it can be, for some people, a negative.

I'm interested in learning more "PRO's", because I've always thought saving money was the primary reason people prefer them, and I am willing to be proven wrong!

Here is a big PRO of a BYOB: The money you save on the wine can go toward upgrading your restaurant choice-- spend the money on the food and the atmosphere, not on the wine list!!

Long live the NJ liquor laws and bureaucracy!!