• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guacamole

Jaymes

there is no bigger waste than a perfectly good tasting guacamole that you had to throw out because it was too brown for you to bring yourself to eat!

I just discovered that a Foodsaver works wonders for guac. I vacuum-sealed it in a canning jar, and it stayed green in the fridge for 5 days. Maybe it would have lasted longer, but we ate it. :biggrin:

I am a purist when it comes to Guac...well...sorta :raz:

First off, no offense, but adding sour cream or any cream product to an already creamy fruit/veg...Ick!

I like to do similar to Jin and cross hatch the halves, scoop it out, and then in a bowl with lime juice add salt, a load of cilantro, and fresh chilli, let that maserate, then add to the avocado, and mix together...

Yum!

avocado, lime, and salt. that's all that i'll put in my guac. i just like the pure taste of the avocado with the lime and salt.

as for browning, i heard if you put the avocado pit in the dish with the guac, it keeps the guac from browning. has anyone tried this?

Traditionally I like the avocado, onion, jalapenos, lime, and salt simplicity, but I also like a little surprise of sliced grapes or pomegranate seeds for a little sweet to balance the spice.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Avocados can be frozen? I never considered this (I don't know why; they just don't seem freezeable.) Peel them first, then into a ziplock bag, and into the freezer? Has anyone done this?

They freeze very well. I used to freeze mashed avocado in ice cube trays to feed the boys when they were babies - popped out bright green and tasted really good when defrosted. Make sure to cover the top with plastic wrap while freezing to keep out air, then store.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I just went through a guacamole experience. In preparation for frying chicken I baked off a pound of bacon. The bacon grease was the goal but you have to do something with all of that pesky bacon. I opted for BLAs. (I don't like tomatos.) My local HEB grocery had these lovely large Haas avacados so I procured one. It was a very large avocado and very good so I was left with quite a bit to do with whatever. Being essentially lazy, but perceptive, I spied a jar of La Victoria chunky green salsa in my fridge. So, I chunk up the remaining avocado and add about three tablespoons of the salsa and mash with a fork. Excellent. I stored it in a bowl with the original Saran Wrap pressed down on the surface and had a couple of more tasty bacon sandwiches with the "lazy guacamole."

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Avacado, mashed with a fork or something else rough

Chopped Tomato

Chopped Onion

Chopped Serrano/Jalapeno

little bit of lime (I don't like my guac to taste too bright)

healthy dose of sour cream ( to make it extra creamy)

lots of salt

bit of black pepper

As much as I like cilantro, I don't care for it in guac. I love it is salsa, but I like the general mouth sensation of guacamole to be very fatty, rich, creamy, and deep, not bright and cutting.

Also, if you can get it in your area, AvoGoodness brand pre-made guacamole is actually some very good stuff, far better than any other pre-made guac I have ever had.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I use the same recipe most times. Learned from my Mom who learned from my grandmother who started making it in Houston many years ago. I use tomato when there are good tomatoes to use and sometimes add cilantro if all eating parties agree, some folks seem vehemently opposed to cilantro.

Also, my grandmother swore by Lawry's seasoned salt for guacamole, about the only thing I use it for, family tradition.

ripe avacado

finely minced red onion

fresh lime juice

Lawry's seasoned salt to taste (not much)

...as for browning, i heard if you put the avocado pit in the dish with the guac, it keeps the guac from browning. has anyone tried this?

I imagine most guac fanciers have tried it at one time or another, and discarded the notion upon discovering that it doesn't work. The pit does keep the guac from browning right where the pit is, but that's because contact with air causes the browning so the pit seals off the guacamole right under it. The remainder of the guacamole browns as usual.

The secret is to seal the top of the guac so it has no contact with air. There are various methods of doing this but the one that has garnered the most favor is to take plastic wrap, lay it directly on the surface of the guacamole, and then press the wrap down and run your fingers over it to remove all air bubbles. A similar method is to put the finished guacamole into a plastic ziplock bag and then flatten it to remove as much air as possible. Some people put a thin layer of something over the guac when it's finished...like a schmeer of mayo, or sour cream, or lime juice, and then stir it into the guac right before serving. Of course, that means you have to add mayo or sour cream, which a lot of folks prefer not to do, or extra lime juice, which a lot of folks do like.

A very common thing in the Sonoran Desert areas of northern Mexico and southern Arizona is to add cottage cheese to guacamole. And if they're not going to be serving it right away, many folks spread the cottage cheese over the guacamole and stir it in just before serving. I never got used to the cottage cheese in guacamole thing, but it's pretty typical of that region, even in restaurants.

But at any rate, the seed thing doesn't work.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

"cross hatch the halves, scoop it out, and then in a bowl with lime juice add salt,"...

diced seeded tomatoers in season

minced onion (just a bit for flavor)

fork crushed/minced garlic

I always make this when I'm going to eat it and polish it off in one sitting - that's one way to keep it green.

great snack, now I want some.

and beer.

...was I there?

Just wanted to tell folks that I've been buying my avocados at Sam's....five in a bag for $3.88. And they're excellent quality.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 month later...

I've been making guacamole for the past few months for me and my sister. I'll buy green Haas avocados and let them ripen for a day or two in a dark cupboard till they're soft. I'll add a lime's worth of juice and 1 minced clove of garlic per avocado, and for 2 avocados worth of guacamole, I'll add a handful of chopped cilantro, a few chopped grape tomatoes or one chopped medium tomato, and one chopped medium onion, red or white. All that's needed after mashing with a fork is a little salt and pepper.

It's so good, we'll eat it on its own as a snack, or we'll top our salad with it. We serve it with chips only at parties. :biggrin:

ooooh, bad grammar! tsk, tsk.

Edited by AmyDaniel (log)

• 2 weeks later...

chopped, seeded plum tomato

jalapeno pepper, green part only minced

garlic, minced

onion, minced, optional

cilantro, chopped

4-5 avocados

fresh lime juice to taste

salt to taste

best way to start is to make a paste of jalapeno, salt and garlic in a morter (or molcahuete(spelling?)...volcanic morter and pestle from Mex. Add avocado (I have found that a pastry blender is a good tool to use to chop without creating too much mush), tomato, onion, cilantro and start tasting for lime and salt.

Family favorite and learned in Acapulco.

I always make this when I'm going to eat it and polish it off in one sitting - that's one way to keep it green.

:laugh: Well, there you go. Excellent solution.

I only make what I call Cheater Guac. I get th salsa fresca from the refrigerated section (here the brand is Rosa's) and add diced avocado, lime and salt. The cutting is done for me with the necessary onion, tomato, cilantro etc. Fresh and fantastic. I've also used a Roasted salsa fresca, the color is darker but it is still very good, just not as bright.

best way to start is to make a paste of jalapeno, salt and garlic in a morter (or molcahuete(spelling?)...volcanic morter and pestle from Mex. Add avocado (I have found that a pastry blender is a good tool to use to chop without creating too much mush), tomato, onion, cilantro and start tasting for lime and salt. 

Family favorite and learned in Acapulco.

I love the method here with the paste, I just may be willing to try this! Sounds wonderful!!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

For quite a few years I worked in a Southwestern restaurant that made a very popular guac with cheese, salsa, and spice mix involved.

However, while working there I started researching Mexican cooking and discovered Diana Kennedy's books including "Art of Mexican Cooking" and now seldom deviate from the recipes I find in them.

Her recipe for guac is very basic and to my mind very delicious. Crush diced white onion, cilantro, serrano and salt in mortar and pestle (molcajete) or blender, stir in diced avocados, garnish with a sprinkling of cilantro, finely diced tomato, and finely diced white onion.

My least favorite additions are citrus and dairy.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 1 year later...

This is definately not a traditional guacamole, but its my current favorite.

I toss 5 or 6 cleaned tomatillos, chopped white onion, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, and a little salt in the blender and then mix this with fork mashed avocado. Makes a thin, citrusy sauce with chunks of avocado in it. Sooo good.

my recipe is very simple. 2 or 3 Haas avocados, a couple cloves of garlic, a little bit of your favorite salsa, cilantro, salt and pepper. Lightly mash the avocados, do not make them mushy, add the minced or pressed garlic, the salsa, cilantro, and salt and pepper... think fold when you mix. My stepdaughter made this recipe for me and it my favorite. You want it chunky with avocados.

"Reminds me of my of safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water." W C Fields

Astonishing: nobody's mentioned my favorite addition, which I discovered in a now-gone Salvadoran restaurant in San Francisco: hard-boiled eggs. I used to scandalize Texans with this, but it does taste good. I had avocadoes, a couple of thinly-sliced chile serranos, green onion tops, chopped hard-boiled eggs, and salt to bring out the taste in mine. Very close to what el Tazumal used to serve, and I love the contrast in texture between the avocado and the hard-boiled egg, which also serves to (somewhat: you don't want to spoil the fun) damp down the serranos a little.

Astonishing: nobody's mentioned my favorite addition, which I discovered in a now-gone Salvadoran restaurant in San Francisco: hard-boiled eggs. I used to scandalize Texans with this, but it does taste good. I had avocadoes, a couple of thinly-sliced chile serranos, green onion tops, chopped hard-boiled eggs, and salt to bring out the taste in mine. Very close to what el Tazumal used to serve, and I love the contrast in texture between the avocado and the hard-boiled egg, which also serves to (somewhat: you don't want to spoil the fun) damp down the serranos a little.

I've never done that, but am not scandalized. But do have my eyebrows raised. I've never even thought specifically of adding eggs to guac, but now that you mention it, I do love avocados with eggs in other applications. I often add both hard-eggs and avocados to my tossed salads, and as they get jumbled around, they kind of break down and meld into each other. Also, love avocados in my ommelettes, so again, eggs and avocados.

I'm pretty sure it's a brilliant idea and I'm going to try it.

Thanks for posting that.

:rolleyes:

Guacamole Saltillo style.

gallery_38003_2113_819534.jpg

Chucky with,

onion,

tomato,

fresh green chile,

cilantro,

salt

That's it.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

my recipe is very simple.  2 or 3 Haas avocados, a couple cloves of garlic, a little bit of your favorite salsa, cilantro, salt and pepper.  Lightly mash the avocados, do not make them mushy, add the minced or pressed garlic, the salsa, cilantro, and salt and pepper... think fold when you mix.  My stepdaughter made this recipe for me and it my favorite.  You want it chunky with avocados.

Often you hear specifically that guac in Mexico doesn't contain garlic. Once DK said no, I couldn't use it again. But I had a friend who couldn't care less what Kennedy thought and insisted on using garlic. But then we did a side by side comparison with the garlic and non-garlic guacamoles and eveyone agreed that garlic-free was superior.

You may not have the same results but it's might be interesting to try.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray