• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CHOW Magazine

fresh_a

I read about a very hip new food magazine called "Chow", which is to be published this year... Has anyone else heard about it?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

and, no, I don't mean this one:

Chow

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Here's all I was able to find:

A quote from the WSJ:

"Meanwhile, in San Francisco, the No. 2 editor at the now-defunct Industry Standard is starting up a food magazine, tentatively called Chow."

and "Wooden Horse:

A new food magazine is being worked on by former staffers of THE INDUSTRY STANDARD. CHOW will be unlike any other food mag, they say. "We'll write about restaurants and chefs, but also the chains, supermarkets, airline meals and junk food..."

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

Actually, i found these as well:

Chow

Chow 2

Chow 3

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

Sounds a lot like all those people who say, "Hey, my friends tell me I'm a pretty good cook; think I'll open a restaurant." Or, "I just love giving my friends a good time; I know, I'll open a bar -- and I'll serve really good food, too!"

I can hardly contain myself waiting.

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

I've heard of it, it's supposed to appeal to a younger demo. They haven't published yet -- I assume they must still be in the process of corralling seed money & advertisers, both a lengthy process.

You can sign up for their pending e-newsletter at www.chowmag.com. I signed up a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to receive anything.

ciao

alacarte- Thanks for the website info... I've been waiting for awhile for a magazine like this..something hip and informative... Gastronomica is fine, but it's a little too heavy for me... I'd love to see a sort of gourmet "Wallpaper"

blog

I've heard of it, it's supposed to appeal to a younger demo.

Food Brats (like Wine Brats)?

I'm picturing an unholy combination of Sassy and Gourmet. :hmmm:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I haven't seen the mag yet, so I can't judge... but a cool, informative food magazine can't hurt...there's enough room for everyone

blog

Yeah, I was just joshing. I think that creating cover headlines for a marriage of Sassy + Gourmet would make for a good writing contest.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Agreed!

But seriously, I'm really looking forward to a cool food glossy with balls!

blog

I'm the ex-Industry Standard editor who's launching Chow magazine. I never thought of Sassy & Gourmet. That's not bad. Sometimes I say Maxim & Bon Appetit, which means nothing, except that we're a lot more interested in fun & pop culture than they let on that they are at Conde Nast.

Alacarte's right, we're still raising money & introducing ourselves to advertisers, so we've been keeping somewhat under the radar.

We'll launch the website and newsletter in a month. We're planning the first issue of the magazine for the beginning of next year. Chow's for a younger audience and for people with broader interests than what's addressed in the other food mags. That is, we are passionate about good food -- and also interested in food as art, cultural mirror, business, fashion, entertainment, daily chore. We've been to Chili's. And back.

If you've got any thoughts on what you hope to see, I'd like to hear them. And of course, once you see what we're doing, let me know what you think.

It's great to see people signing up because they've been "gulleted" (like slashdotted). Shows how much pull eGullet has. So with that, a heart-felt welcome, jane! And a pat on the back to everyone and everything that has made eGullet such a destination for everything and everyone "food".

Jane I can lend you my old issues of Foodie if you want a roadmap of exactly what not to do!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm the ex-Industry Standard editor who's launching Chow magazine. I never thought of Sassy & Gourmet. That's not bad. Sometimes I say Maxim & Bon Appetit, which means nothing, except that we're a lot more interested in fun & pop culture than they let on that they are at Conde Nast. 

You have mentioned 2 of my most loathed magazines, Maxim and Bon Appetit. But, I do like MsRamsey's intersection of Sassy and Gourmet.

I look forward to checking our you mag. Welcome.

Edited by nerissa (log)

The readers of most of the other food mags have a median age of 47; I expect Chow's median to be at least a decade younger.

You're right; I joined up because of this thread. But I've been lurking around for a while. It's a great forum. Thanks for the welcome.

I'd prefer a cross between Stuff Magazine and Fine Cooking. As for content - I'll just list my favorite egullet threads - Sloppy Joes, Enchiladas, risotto, stir frying, meat smoking, and NYC ethnic food reviews.

johnjohn

jane,

My good friend Philip F alluded to Chow in an email awhile back. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

And try to get to him to hang out here a little. I know he'd have lots to say about SF food and cooking in general.

welcome to eGullet.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

• 2 months later...