• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen white peach purée

Nothing, if the white peaches are good ones. But that's a bit unlikely now, no?

Oh, and Harry's Bar doesn't want you to mechnically purée them, which is a pain, but is very happy for you to use the French stuff.

I think that is probably to to do with quality issues. Frozen purees come into restaurants every week tasting exactly the same, then dishes can be made reliably day after day. Obviously making fresh puree is a bit more haphazard and will depend more on the quality of the peaches that day and this could also limit the season during which you could make the dish/cocktail significantly.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Well, I returned from my expedition to New Covent Garden this morning loaded with Boiron frozen peach purée. Despite my arriving shortly before ten, which I think is five to midnight NCG time, I was lucky that one of the Boiron suppliers, French Garden, was still trading. I bought a box of six kilo packs of white peach purée at £2.70 a pack (would have been a little bit more for individual packs) and two kilo packs of blood peach purée at £2.90 each. Total therefore £22 for eight kilos, or £25 including the three quid charge for entry by car. Seems pretty reasonable to me. At 1:3 puree: Prosecco, I make that enough for 32 bottles :blink: Luckily it lasts (and I'd undertaken to give some to other people). I hope that despite my not having a Macro-esque refrigerated boot, the stuff survived its tour of London (Vauxhall-Battersea-Clerkenwell). Will report back on the bellinis, but happy with progress so far. (On the latter topic I spent some time trying to find bellini glasses, but failed.)

edit: I really wish I had a deep freeze

Edited by Kikujiro (log)

Sadly not. The post office has a draconian policy about posting: drugs, firearms, explosives and pudgy 30-somethings, so I am screwed. Plus when ever I paste stamps on myself they just fall off and then I would end up in some shitty lost-post place with loads of middle-aged sweaty mail sorters, but no Bellini still, so no point really.

In concerns me that Kikujiro has no deep freeze. A good looking, clean limbed young man like that needs a deep freeze - especially if they have just bought 22 kilos of frozen peach purée. How does he make ice for all those fancy Martini parties he throws? A man needs ice.

Would love to thankyou, but I can't afford to right at the moment. I will be in London in early May though. If you really loved me, you would buy a deep-freeze and put aside a Bellini for me, although I rarely drink alcohol.

edit: But I wish all a smashing time :smile: .

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

Kiku - I find your insanity deeply admirable  :cool:

v

Vanessa,

insane? clearly you have never had a great belini! :biggrin:

I think the man is clearly discerning and infinitely sensible.

This degree of forward thinking ensures that man need no longer tolerate peach schnapps poured into a dodgy coup of NV champagne.

Bravo this paragon of sophistication!

A bad bellini is a terrible, terrible waste...

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?