• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Food-Packaging Innovations

Fat Guy

Cajeta in squeeze bottles.  A revelation.

Jaymes, where??!? Do you think it's possible to find such a revelatory product here??

First saw this in Mexico. Couldn't believe we didn't have them here. Cajeta is so messy to dig out. So, I zap the bottle in the microwave, but still.

So anyway, in a grocery store in Mexico and there it was, Coronado cajeta in squeeze bottles!

Our largest grocery stores here in Austin carry it - especially in the Hispanic areas.

You just turn it upside down over your ice cream, pound cake, whatever, and squeeze. Heaven awaits.

OMG, I'm drooling at the prospect of all the possibilities: cajeta on toast, on biscuits, on muffins . . . ! We have a number of Hispanic markets in our area; tomorrow, I plan to scour them in search of this miraculous innovation.

Anyone think how much paper is saved by producing circular, instead of square, tea-bags?

My bet is none. You could only save paper with a close-packing arrangement on huge sheets of paper.

It was a serious question, wasn't it?

Unless you're talking about the "flo-thru" types. That's extra paper. Other than that, the round's the wasteful one.

I hate plastic, and avoid it if at all possible. I NEVER buy ziplocks, but if something comes in one, I'll wash and reuse it. Too much plastic waste in the world.

There's a great tea company called Republic of Tea. They do round, natural ( unbleached) bags. And what they do with the bag bits that are left over is...use it for packing ! So if you receive a case of their tea ( I work in a store ), the tea is packed, not in styrofoam, but in teabag leftovers!