• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From shop to plate

Several months ago, there was a traditionally intense discussion at eGullet about the Pea Pod starter on your menu. There were claims that a restaurant shouldn't simply buy stuff at the greengrocer and put it on a plate, and of course many calculations of the cost/charge ratio of pea pods :huh:I actually ate the dish a few weeks later, and thoroughly enjoyed it !

On my last visit a few weeks ago, I had Smoked Sprats as a starter, and again thoroughly enjoyed them, as did one of my companions.

Now I perceive the added value that you deliver to be in your selection of the best ingredients, your choice of the dishes you make available to balance your menu, and of course the ambience that you provide as part of the dining experience.

I'd be interested to hear if you have a different justification, and also the general rationale behind St John offering such dishes.

Nothing is as good as peas in the pod eaten in the garden.

And nothing is more dissapointing than starchy peas from the greengrocers. But due to our efficient veg supplier we can celebrate the pea in the pod, preferably with a glass of something before lunch.

On the value side of things, we are not asking you to pay just for that celebration but for the fundamentals that keep a restaurant working.