• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calling professional chefs

Vanessa

We have a real problem with the chefs in the place where I work (catering staff work for a contractor, therefore difficult for us to control): they routinely leave gas stoves and Falcon ovens and other gear on full blaze all night, with the kitchens locked up. :shock: I can't understand why we haven't been burnt down.

Is this normal practice in a professional kitchen, or is it the fact that they don't care, and they don't pay the utility bills - we do. We can only surmise that they do this so that they don't have to bother remember to turn the stuff on in the mornings.

v

Vanessa, i would be having a word with the contractor.Something like," turn the bloody gas off at night , or you can wait for your payment".There is no need for them to be putting your premises at risk like this :angry:

I turn the gas off at the mains overnight at the mains, then i can sleep soundly :biggrin:

Strangely enough, they don't, they work for our customers, who are also our bosses. Makes for a complicated management structure. I'll explain to you next week.

I was really just wondering if this was a problem anyone else has experienced.

v

Is this normal practice in a professional kitchen, or is it the fact that they don't care, and they don't pay the utility bills - we do.

No way is this normal practice. I think you hit the nail on the head when you suggested they don't care.

A quick call to your insurers about the problem - and where blame would be legally placed in the result of a fire or other mishap - would probably give you more than enough ammunition to encourage your bosses to act to bring the contractors into line.

Apart from the danger and waste, it's deeply disprespectful to other Chefs going about their work in a proper, priofessional manner. Who are these people to endanger their work colleagues? I dread to think how dangerous these people could be if they really can't gaurantee to remember to switch equipment on when they arrive for work.

It beggars belief that they act in such an irresponsible way.

Someone needs to intervene in this madness. No, that's not a normal procedure. If they wanted to clean the jets out, yeah, they should let them burn a while after they've poked the shit out but someone should be in close proximity to the stove as it burns. These guys are presenting clear and present danger to the business--and, oddly their paychecks. I suggest getting on a bullhorn and clueing in the appropriate authorities before these bumbling idiots bring the house down. I've got a couple of big dumb guys that could help...where are you?

I suggest getting on a bullhorn and clueing in the appropriate authorities before these bumbling idiots bring the house down.  I've got a couple of big dumb guys that could help...where are you?

Thats what we need...an eGullet mob of enforcers to point out the error of their ways :biggrin: I'm fairly big and dumb myself..where do i sign?

As a Scottish Chef suggests this practice almost certainly contravenes

1. Fire regulations

2. General Health and Safety legislation

3. Any insurance contract

The first two carry fairly heavy duty legislation which I would guess imply shutting your place of work immediately until procedures are in place to prevent this.

Edited by Gavin Jones (log)

Wilma squawks no more

I'm fairly big and dumb myself...

I'm big, but I don't know if I is dumb. :wacko:

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

I've got a couple of big dumb guys that could help...where are you?

Somewhere the other side of the planet from you :sad:

v

Well Vanessa, sounds like there are a few more takers here...you could probably enlist a couple of local chefs and their staffs for a keg and a promise of future employment...Good Luck...

Hi Vanessa,

It's the Chef's responsibility. Full stop.

Not the dishwasher's, not the line cook's (though this duty can be delegated). I really don't see the difficulty with the Chef or sous walking the line at the end of service and checking the knobs on the equipment. Shutting off the gas at the main would neccesitate relighting the pilots in the morning. A real PIA on some equipment.

If the chef or sous leave early then the duty should be delegated and followed up on. I'm not familiar with your particular constraints, but this is considered a sacking offence (after the first or second warning).

Not doing this is laziness, plain and simple. There is no excuse. If the chef can't see this then perhaps he's in the wrong business and perhaps someone might wish to show him the error of his career choice. :biggrin:

Nick