• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really Big Hamburger

Holly Moore

I've been to Clearfield, and to DuBois, and to Brookville. And, to St Marys and Walston. Gertrude Stein's comments on "no there, there" apply in spades to these places.

However, I will make an exception for Straub's beer in St Marys and perhaps for this big burger next time I'm in the area.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Any trip to Clearfield is worth the ride north into the woods to Straub's in St Marys. I was there about 7 years ago, my own personal tour and a nice free flowing tap. You have to like a place that allows you to climb up a ladder to peer down into the open topped fermenting vats. The guide did tell me to remove my hat lest it fall in.

I grew up in Bradford and Titusville, and can say that Straub's was my first beer. Very light body, but it's quite quaffable. I grab a couple of cases whenever I visit my family up there. They were one of the first breweries to indicate on the label when the beer was brewed.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Straub's is great beer.

Lest I be accused of maligning the fair residents of Elk County, Clearfield, Center, etc, I would like to point out some of the loveliest women on earth are from that area.

'nuff said. that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

guajolote,

THAT IS AWESOME! What great pics! Ive never seen a hamburger like that!

I ate a burger last summer that was one lb and finished it easy here in Chicago @ Boston Blackies - I want to try something bigger...and Im skinny!

Lets make some burgers this Saturday ! 3lBs er's !!!!!! We'll be famous... :smile:

Wow! I will no longer claim that Kopps makes "the biggest burgers I have ever seen."

Just curious, how much did that thing cost? What, aside from serious gas, did you get if you had the misfortune to finish your meal? :biggrin:

That's not a picture of me, it's just a picture of the burder I found on the web. If I remember correctly this place has a 2 lb. burger (shown), a 5 lb., and a 10 lb. No one has ever eaten a whole 10 lb.

In order top make this burger they have to add eggs and bread crumbs to the burger so it doesn't fall apart, so it's really more of a meat loaf burger. The spatula they used to flip it was really cool, it reminded me of John Candy flipping pancakes with a snow shovel in Uncle Buck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Just wanted to add that the Hub ate at Denny's last week--he was enroute to Ohio from NJ--he reported that he had a delicious (standard sized) blue cheese burger with fries there--he said that the fries were really good, too--and best of all, a Yuengling was $1.79!

He didn't know about the Straub's beer --we will do further research on this!

I must say that we are thrilled to find a good place to eat along 80--we travel to Ohio several times a year and had just about given up--we ate fast food both ways the last time--and that was truly depressing....

Zoe

I must say that we are thrilled to find a good place to eat along 80--we travel to Ohio several times a year and had just about given up--we ate fast food both ways the last time--and that was truly depressing....

Zoe

You might also want to check out www.roadfood.com for some good places to find while you're out on the road.

Rhonda

You might also want to check out www.roadfood.com for some good places to find while you're out on the road. 

Rhonda

thanks, Rhonda, i went over and joined--found a few suggestions of places to check out--one we have gone to a few times--Plyler's--I don't care for it, but the Hub is a sucker for an all you can eat.