• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

let's play: What's in my tuna?

tommy

:laugh::laugh::laugh: (to ranitidine)

Seriously, though -- yeah, it's probably just globs of oil. That's tuna in olive oil, right? I notice that I get similar little globules in jars of home-roasted peppers in olive oil, and jars of the oil I drain off from roast garlic. I don't worry about it. But now I know another reason not to keep my tuna in oil in the fridge; water-packed is okay, though.

i opened a can of tuna to find little white balls all over the top.  i'm assuming that it's congealed fat (tuna packed in oil), as i keep the cans in the fridge.  but they seem too perfect.  this happened once before as well.  i ate it then.  this time i didn't.  any ideas?

fc9a0f0f.jpg

Why do you keep cans of tuna in the fridge?

Am I the only one who has 5+ year old cans of sardines in my pantry?  I turn them periodically, but never thought to chill them.  I don't chill any canned food except maybe V-8 juice.  Should I? :shock:

I'd probably get rid of it. If it doesn't get you sick, it isn't going to have any taste left.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Am I the only one who has 5+ year old cans of sardines in my pantry?  I turn them periodically, but never thought to chill them.  I don't chill any canned food except maybe V-8 juice.  Should I?   :shock:

I'd probably get rid of it. If it doesn't get you sick, it isn't going to have any taste left.

Why would storage of sardines for 5+ years have the effect of removing all flavour from them?

I read somewhere that canned sardines improve with age. That there are secret societies of sardine-can keepers, who maintain private lists of which brands are best at what age. All very esoteric. No, I am NOT making this up. I just can't remember where I read it. :rolleyes:

So what if you've got 5+-year-old cans? My storage philosophy is, if it ain't bulging, it's staying. Of course, if it looks or smells weird when I open it, THAT'S when it gets dumped.

Dude, they are canned sardines, they all look and smell weird. :biggrin: . However, I once opened a can of sardines that had one fish in it, now that was very weird and not a little creepy. A large can of oil and one sardine. In my mind I think of it as the "evil-born-of-a-jackal" sardine. Just isn't right, sardines individually canned. :hmmm: