• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

let's play: What's in my tuna?

tommy

I read somewhere that canned sardines improve with age.  That there are secret societies of sardine-can keepers, who maintain private lists of which brands are best at what age.  All very esoteric.  No, I am NOT making this up.  I just can't remember where I read it.  :rolleyes:

I read it in one of James Villas books. But after reading this thread I am thinking of throwing them out...specially since I prefer anchovies.

Lobster.

No, I am NOT making this up.  I just can't remember where I read it.  :rolleyes:

Beg to disagree, oh revered one. But Lady: You gotta be making this up! :biggrin:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

May I ask: do you eat tuna from a can though it's been cooked in that can? if so, what you best like to do to tuna when it's no longer in its can or embedded in little white balls?

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

May I ask: do you eat tuna from a can though it's been cooked in that can? if so, what you best like to do to tuna when it's no longer in its can or embedded in little white balls?

mixed with olives and parsley and capers and mustard and a wee bit of mayo on crunchy bread with crunchy lettuce.

mixed with olives and parsley and capers and mustard and a wee bit of mayo on crunchy bread with crunchy lettuce.

have you ever tried freshly grated ginger with canned tuna?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

My only question is why would you eat canned tuna in the first place? If there is anything that looks and smells like cat food for humans, that's it.

Can't stand the stuff. (actually never tried it, the smell alone turns my stomach)

But I would have to add my "it is congealed fat" vote.

Edited by BigMac (log)

tommy: try making an uncooked pasta sauce with EVOO, lemon juice, capers, minced Kalamata (or other Greek) olives, Italian flat-leaf parsley, minced red or Bermuda onion, grated lemon zest and Italian oil-packed tuna. The EVOO, lemon juice, tuna and parsley should form the basis of the sauce. You can replace the capers with a little sprinkle of bottarga. Use this with penne, fusilli, or other similar pasta.

SA