• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Desperate Measures: Pancetta-Embossing

Fat Guy

He invented it, so he gets to name it.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've done something like this before, but I boned the thighs, stuffed them with julienned veggies, then rolled them in pancetta, tied them closed into little bundles, and sauteed.

The skin plus pancetta is really an amazing taste and texture.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Much better, mamster. Nice photo.

("Sure they did." :laugh: )

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I wanted to work that phony food embosser somewhere into this story, but it didn't fit. I guess I could have Photoshopped "YUMMY" on top of the pancetta. Jinmyo, I have something else coming up that I think you'll like, but it's a couple weeks off.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Actually, mamster, I like all of your stuff. It's so gintchy.

But of course I'd prefer to see you post your own recipes (regardless of their origin) than something reproduced from a book in your article or on the plate.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo--

1. What does "gintchy" mean?

2. While I enjoy cooking off the cuff, I enjoy cooking from existing recipes more. This may seem a lazy tack for a food writer to take, and I plead guilty to that, but the world has no shortage of recipes, just a shortage of reasons to make them tonight. Most of my favorite cookbooks include many recipes from other sources--sometimes credited, sometimes not--along with a couple of great new ideas.

Part of what you'll see happen in my column is that I'm highly reluctant to post a recipe even vaguely inspired by another source without giving credit. In the case of the peperonata recipe in my first column, I changed ingredients, cooking times, and serving style. It's my way of making and serving peperonata. But the first time I made it, it was Biba's book I used. I'd like to introduce people to this recipe, because it's great, but I'd also like to send them back to the original inspiration so they can find something else great in there and tell me about it.

Much of what is included in cookbooks, I find, is padding done out of a sense of obligation. Even the best cookbooks--you can't publish a book with your ten really great recipes. That's part of the reason for the popularity of the "Best American Recipes" series.

Genuine originality in cooking isn't the province of recipes, and therefore it's rarely the province of my little recipe column, either. Coming up, for example, I have an article on a particular area of Thai food that is very poorly represented in Thai restaurants in the West. So I had to recreate it, with the help of reference materials, but largely from memory. That doesn't make it my recipe, though, since the result is (I hope) close to something you'd get at almost any restaurant in Bangkok or Khon Kaen.

Mamster, I don't mean to diss on your happy accident of fusing pancetta to chicken, but isn't this comparable to a 'saltimbocca' preparation? I guess the difference is using pancetta instead of prosciutto. When it comes down to it, any excuse to fry something wrapped in a pork product is fine by me.....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Well, it's sort of comparable. Saltimbocca when made with veal doesn't have skin, of course, and generally when I've seen it done with chicken it's with pounded boneless breasts. Fusing the bacon to the skin is the key innovation here. Obviously I wouldn't say no one's ever done it before, only that I was goofing around and figured it out.

Fusing the bacon to the skin is the key innovation here.

Good point. Have to say that one common complaint I have about the variety of things I've had 'saltimbocca'd' is the failure of the prosciutto to actually become one with the underlying meat. Perhaps thats not the point however. Definately going to give your recipe a shot soon....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 months later...
You could call it "Chicken Scarface."

Say chello to my leetle freind. Are ju talkin' to me? Did ju feed my wife? Did ju feed her, huh?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 year later...

This is one brilliant theme for which i keep doing variations :wub:

Tonight the pancetta-embossing happened to Mario's Duck and Potato Crepinettes (foodtv.com) and it worked like a charm -

i encased duck patties between two thin layers of pancetta, cross tied with a string and broiled. Just excellent!