• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prepared Frozen Meatballs

Shel_B

In about a week, I'm cooking a dish for a large crowd, and to save time and my sanity, I'd like to use prepared frozen meatballs instead of making my own.  Are there any such meatballs that you'd recommend?  I'm located in the San Francisco area, so something that can be purchased in the general area would be ideal.

... Shel

18 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@gfweb ... your post came through as blank.  If you don't mind, please try again, I'm interested in what you have to say.  BTW, since my last post, I found the ingredient list for the frozen meatballs.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

We've been very happy with Trader Joe's balls. The package says "Italian Style," but nothing about them strikes me as particularly Italian, unless that means unashamedly including bread crumbs to keep the ball light. 

Edit:  I see from the ingredient list that parm is in there. Maybe that makes it Italian?

• Like 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Trader Joe's meatballs ... well, they've been in my rotation for years, although perhaps in an unconventional way.  They are dressed in one of several sauces, either homemade or commercial, and then baked in the Breville until such time as they're basted again with the sauce followed by a blast under the broiler and, often, a final basting with warm but uncooked sauce.  I've used them that way as appetizers, a side dish for potatoes, and as backyard-bbq fare, placed right next to the potato salad.  Makes me happy.

... Shel

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

So it seems that you approve of the TJ offering, @Shel_B.The price is reasonable: $5 /lb. It easily meets our 80/20 rule: >80% of the desired outcome for <20% of the effor

What more can you ask of a ball?

I like them only for the purpose described above.  As part of "spaghetti & meatballs" not so much. That's, in part, why I am looking for alternative recommendations.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel