• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kirkland Decaf Coffee...Any Opinions?

chromedome

Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere along the way, but I've tried a few searches and come up dry.

For reasons too tedious to delve into at this point, I'm in the unfortunate position of having to drink decaf coffee and tea. As a freelancer and longtime caffeine addict this was very challenging, though now that I'm being treated for ADHD it's less so: the frontline ADHD meds are all amphetamines, and when you start your day with an amphetamine your caffeine intake is more or less a non-factor. :P

As I was hitting Costco the other day for a few things, I happened to notice that a) they do have a decaf among their Kirkland whole-bean coffee offerings; and b) the price is extremely competitive relative to the supermarket brands in my area. A bit of Googling tells me that their coffees have been roasted by Starbucks until just recently, which gives me pause (I'm not a fan), but I've also seen conflicting information saying that The Green Siren maybe isn't doing all of their roasting anymore?

Pending further research, I thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the eG crowd. Does anyone here drink the stuff? What do you think of it? At my local supermarkets 10-12 oz bags of whole-bean decaf mostly run $10-$15 CAD, while the 3 lb bag from Costco is in the low $20s. It's an unquestionably good deal, but 3lbs of decaf is a whole lot to deal with if I don't care for it. I know they'll refund it on request, but returning it is a minimum 2-hour round trip and my time is always at a premium.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

John drinks the Kirkland decaf and has for years.  I have maybe 1 cup a month so can't comment for myself, but John, who has been drinking it for years, is happy with it.  I did ask if he has noticed a change in the taste of it lately and he says it seems a bit more bitter than it used to be.

I've also recently been looking for more decaf. I picked up the new Kirkland, and it's more bitter than I prefer. The beans are very dark and smell sort of sour. I hadn't tried the old version, so I can't compare for that. We'll end up going through it, but I would not be making a regular purchase. I have been browsing Costco's online offerings for decaf, though, in case anyone has a good experience with those!