• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rolling Knife Sharpeners

Has anyone used a rolling knife sharpener?  I have a couple of this type of sharpener that I need to evaluate.  I expect to try them with a collection of inexpensive knives.  I'd love to hear of others' experiences.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Has anyone used a rolling knife sharpener?  I have a couple of this type of sharpener that I need to evaluate.  I expect to try them with a collection of inexpensive knives.  I'd love to hear of others' experiences.

Just saw this earlier today ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYxXNJNVu9E

• Thanks 1

... Shel

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thanks, yes, that is the type of sharpener.

I didn't know about them until just a few hours ago when I watched the video. Hope it was helpful to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

... Shel

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm curious as to your findings.  There was a period of time when ads for these rolling sharpeners were clogging my instagram feed. I was curious but never bought the bullet.  I imagined that it would more hone than sharpen.

the concept looks interesting - perhaps when you evaluate them you could elaborate a bit on the time/effort it takes to do "100 strokes" plus an additional "200 strokes" per the video. 

that sounds like a bit of a challenge right there....

also noticed in (the video) the tip of the knife 'bending away' from the roller plate - the tip, like the doohickie part one expects to be 'the sharpest bit' - taking a powder from the prescribed angle . . .

I use the Edge-Pro system - and there's no 100/300 strokes of any grit needed to go wicked sharp . . .

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

the concept looks interesting - perhaps when you evaluate them you could elaborate a bit on the time/effort it takes to do "100 strokes" plus an additional "200 strokes" per the video. 

that sounds like a bit of a challenge right there....

also noticed in (the video) the tip of the knife 'bending away' from the roller plate - the tip, like the doohickie part one expects to be 'the sharpest bit' - taking a powder from the prescribed angle . . .

I use the Edge-Pro system - and there's no 100/300 strokes of any grit needed to go wicked sharp . . .

You are exactly right about the tip "bending away".  I don't think either of the sharpeners I tried are for me.  However the rolling part is easier than I expected.  Not a lot of effort is required.

On 8/25/2024 at 2:33 PM, AlaMoi said:

That's a great system.  Best in class.  What does it sell for these days?

I think that, in the world of knife sharpening tools, there is a tradeoff 'twixt what can be used instantly, and what's in a box in the garage.

As with both the E-P and the rollers, the key is always fixing the angle of attack.

the 'old style' Apex 'full kit' runs $235 - not cheap....

they have a newer style, but I have not investigate it or what advantages it offers.

I set up the Edge-Pro 2x a year, sharpen/touch up any of my knife stable that needs it.

a 10x magnifier is (imho) essential - you can see the results and adjust accordingly.

• Like 1