• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

I just took the cooked beans (Dark red kidneys from Zursan) from the IP.  The beans were a little overcooked but still quite useable.

I drained but did not rinse the beans when removing them from the soaking liquid.  I added about a quart of filtered water to the beans in the IP and cooked for 12 minutes on high.  I let pressure release for about 17 minutes.

The cooking liquid was quite picante and would make a nice addition to many dishes.  The beans were not as picante as I expected based on a taste made after soaking and before cooking them.  However, they still had a fairly strong flavor from the peppers.  Overall, I'd consider the experiment a success.  

I believe that if the beans were cooked less, more of the peppery taste would have remained in the beans rather than leaching into the cooking water.  Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion?

Using this experiment as a base, I'll continue experimenting with infusing flavor into my beans in this manner.  I believe the technique has possibilities.  Better quality beans and a more precise cooking time may be helpful ... ?

Shel_B

Shel_B

I just took the cooked beans (Dark red kidneys from Zursan) from the IP.  The beans were a little overcooked but still quite useable.

I drained but did not rinse the beans when removing them from the soaking liquid.  I added about a quart of filtered water to the beans in the IP and cooked for 12 minutes on high.  I let pressure release for about 17 minutes.

The cooking liquid was quite picante and would make a nice addition to many dishes.  The beans were not as picante as I expected based on a taste made before cooking them.  However, they still had a fairly strong flavor from the peppers.  Overall, I'd consider the experiment a success.  

I believe that if the beans were cooked less, more of the peppery taste would have remained in the beans rather than leaching into the cooking water.  Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion?

Using this experiment as a base, I'll continue experimenting with infusing flavor into my beans in this manner.  I believe the technique has possibilities.  Better quality beans and a more precise cooking time may be helpful ... ?