• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good luck!  Will you be preparing a control group of beans where you just throw the chiles and garlic into the Instant Pot while you cook them?

Also, if the beans don't come out as flavorful as you'd like, just stir a big spoonful of that 'ndjua in with them! Guaranteed flavor booster!

I'd not thought about a control group, but that seems to be a good idea.  Because I have some plans for the weekend, I may not make a control batch until I return. I don't think it matters much when I make the second batch.

After purchasing the 'nduja I started reading recipes for ideas on how to use it, and a few included beans as a good match for the spread.  However, regardless of how the test batch turns out, those beans are going into a vegetarian or turkey chili that I'm planning.  I make a big pot of such chili or stew every month or so ... vegetarian chili, turkey with various beans, black bean and sweet potato stew, versions of fagioli all’uccelletto, etc.  I keep about 1/2 for me and give the rest of what I make to residents in my apartment building. 

Anyway, I'm going to see about using the 'nduja in my cowboy beans recipe which is a riff on Pasta Grammar's Italian Cowboy Beans. which itself is a riff on a more traditional fagioli all’uccelletto.

Shel_B

Shel_B

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good luck!  Will you be preparing a control group of beans where you just throw the chiles and garlic into the Instant Pot while you cook them?

Also, if the beans don't come out as flavorful as you'd like, just stir a big spoonful of that 'ndjua in with them! Guaranteed flavor booster!

I'd not thought about a control group, but it seems to be a good idea.  Because I have some plans for the weekend, I may not make a control batch until I return. I don't think it matters much when I make the second batch.

After purchasing the 'nduja I started reading recipes for ideas on how to use it, and a few included beans as a good match for the spread.  However, regardless of how the test batch turns out, those beans are going into a vegetarian or turkey chili that I'm planning.  I make a big pot of such chili or stew every month or so ... vegetarian chili, turkey with various beans, black bean and sweet potato stew, versions of fagioli all’uccelletto, etc.  I keep about 1/2 for me and give the rest of what I make to residents in my apartment building. 

Anyway, I'm going to see about using the 'nduja in my cowboy beans recipe which is a riff on Pasta Grammar's Italian Cowboy Beans. which itself is a riff on a more traditional fagioli all’uccelletto.