• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sorry, I don’t know how much flavor infusion can be accomplished during bean soaking. 
I don’t rinse beans after cooking either but the flavor of garlic and chilies is present in drained beans. The bay flavor is more subtle, but I miss it if I leave them out. 

Well, time for more experimenting.

A little background might be in order, if for no other reason to know my point of reference.  Years ago I started cooking pasta in chili-infused water, and the pasta would soak up the flavor like a sponge.  I was/am hoping something like that can be done with beans.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll certainly consider your comments as I continue exploring bean cooking.

Shel_B

Shel_B

21 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sorry, I don’t know how much flavor infusion can be accomplished during bean soaking. 
I don’t rinse beans after cooking either but the flavor of garlic and chilies is present in drained beans. The bay flavor is more subtle, but I miss it if I leave them out. 

Well, time for more experimenting.

A little background might be in order, if for no other reason to know my point of reference.  Years ago I would cook pasta in chili-infused water, and the pasta would soak up the flavor like a sponge.  I was/am hoping something like that can be done with beans.

Thanks for all your advice. I'll certainly consider your comments as I continue exploring bean cooking.

Shel_B

Shel_B

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Well, time for more experimenting. Thanks for all your advice. I'll certainly consider your comments as I continue exploring bean cooking.