• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning / Disinfecting with White Distilled Vinegar

I've heard it said that cleaning and disinfecting cutting boards (plastic, bamboo, wood) and countertops can be done well with white distilled vinegar (is there another type besides white?).  I believe this is correct, and I'm wondering if there are any caveats to this.

BTW, I discovered that the vinegar will clean stainless cookware, and eliminate the haze and blue discolorations that one so often sees.

I suspect that this is all old news to many folks here, but I'm late to the cleaning-with-vinegar technique.

• Like 1

... Shel

Vinegar won't dissolve fats/grease which is half the problem on a cutting board.

Vinegar pH is in the same range as stomach acid at best.  Think of all the pathogens that make it through the stomach and its acid. Vinegar wouldn't touch them on a cutting board.

Boiling  water would do better

Where to start.

I'll start where @gfweb left off. Acetic acid is NOT a sanitizing agent. It will dissolve the scale on cookware and inside coffee machines but in no way has any effect on bacterial contamination. Those are very different chemical treatments.

Can't imagine you've 'heard this said' but really bad advice.

Use soap.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

9 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Can't imagine you've 'heard this said' but really bad advice.

Use soap.

It sounds as though you're doubting me, to put it mildly. Three of numerous similar articles.  :

https://www.arnoldwood.com/blog/how-to/sanitize-cutting-boards/#:~:text=To kill the germs on,wipe it with hydrogen peroxide.

To kill the germs on your cutting board, use a paper towel to wipe the board down with vinegar, then use another paper towel to wipe it with hydrogen peroxide.
Bleach – Sanitize both wood and plastic cutting boards with a diluted chlorine bleach or vinegar solution consisting of one teaspoon of liquid chlorine bleach in one quart of water or a one to five dilution of vinegar. Flood the surface with a sanitizing solution and allow it to stand for several minutes, then rinse and air dry or pat dry with paper towels.

https://misen.com/blogs/news/how-to-clean-a-wooden-cutting-board#:~:text=Because vinegar is acidic%2C it,with a washcloth or sponge.

Because vinegar is acidic, it helps disinfect the board by killing bacteria and mold and preventing their further growth. It can also help deodorize your board. 

Spray the board with a solution of 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar and wipe it down with a washcloth or sponge.

https://www.thespruce.com/clean-wooden-cutting-board-4772583  

Disinfect With a Daily Solution
Spritz your wooden cutting board with distilled white vinegar or a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Rinse with hot water.

In these articles, other techniques were suggested as well, including using bleach and hydrogen peroxide.

• Like 1

... Shel

hmmm. I wonder if the hydrogen peroxide is doing the heavy lifting of the sanitizing here.  I would be cautious of most hydrogen peroxide that you get in the drug store or supermarket - at 3% strength, it is not stable, so manufacturers add stabilizers which are not food grade.  So if you wipe your boards with it, make sure you rinse it afterwards.  I get 35% hydrogen peroxide that I use in quantity for my plants - since it is so strong, it is shelf stable for about 2 years so it has no additives, but I have to use it immediately once diluted.  If you wind up getting 35% strength, be VERY careful with it - it is a very strong oxidizer and can burn your skin, not to mention eyes!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good grief!  1:4 or 1:5 dilutions of vinegar in water aren't going to sanitize anything though it's quite nice to use for streak-free windows and mirrors. 

Bleach and hydrogen peroxide can sanitize if used correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

It sounds as though you're doubting me, to put it mildly. Three of numerous similar articles.  :

https://www.arnoldwood.com/blog/how-to/sanitize-cutting-boards/#:~:text=To kill the germs on,wipe it with hydrogen peroxide.

To kill the germs on your cutting board, use a paper towel to wipe the board down with vinegar, then use another paper towel to wipe it with hydrogen peroxide.
Bleach – Sanitize both wood and plastic cutting boards with a diluted chlorine bleach or vinegar solution consisting of one teaspoon of liquid chlorine bleach in one quart of water or a one to five dilution of vinegar. Flood the surface with a sanitizing solution and allow it to stand for several minutes, then rinse and air dry or pat dry with paper towels.

https://misen.com/blogs/news/how-to-clean-a-wooden-cutting-board#:~:text=Because vinegar is acidic%2C it,with a washcloth or sponge.

Because vinegar is acidic, it helps disinfect the board by killing bacteria and mold and preventing their further growth. It can also help deodorize your board. 

Spray the board with a solution of 4 parts water to 1 part vinegar and wipe it down with a washcloth or sponge.

https://www.thespruce.com/clean-wooden-cutting-board-4772583  

Disinfect With a Daily Solution
Spritz your wooden cutting board with distilled white vinegar or a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Rinse with hot water.

In these articles, other techniques were suggested as well, including using bleach and hydrogen peroxide.

We are not doubting you, but your "references" are not reliable sources. Clickbait, really. And trash science. H2O2 is also a lousy disinfectant esp at the concentrations available at home.

• Like 2

Try taking advice from those with the appropriate scientific backgrounds and not citing clickbait as reliable sources.

Of course you can do whatever you want.

• Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Just now, gfweb said:

We are not doubting you, but your "references" are not reliable sources. Clickbait, really. And trash science. H2O2 is also a lousy disinfectant esp at the concentrations available at home.

That is why I asked ... the suggested use of vinegar is very common ... just this morning I was watching a cooking video from a chef with, I believe, a very good reputation, and he too, recommended vinegar (as well as bleach).

For years I was skeptical about using the technique, and stayed away from it.  Sweetie used it in her home, friends have used it, chefs have recommended it, even America's Test Kitchen has suggested it.  So, before relying upon it myself, it seemed like a good idea to ask here, where I generally respect and trust the knowledge of the forum members.

... Shel

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The table in that reference illustrates  that vinegar and peroxide are not giving complete sanitizing.

And it doesn't even address not removing grease etc which will hinder bactericidal activity.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The table in that reference illustrates  that vinegar and peroxide are not giving complete sanitizing.

Right, it totally shows how vinegar is only minorly effective at room temp. And no matter what the disinfectant, the board or surface has to be cleaned first so that it can work.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Right, it totally shows how vinegar is only minorly effective at room temp. And no matter what the disinfectant, the board or surface has to be cleaned first so that it can work.

And that's undiluted vinegar.  

• Like 3