• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Other Malaysia

Thanks, KenT. I have a couple of hours tomorrow before leaving town. Will try to find Zyrtec at a pharmacy if things don't improve fast enough.

The worst is probably over but it took a lot out of me. 6 hours have passed and I'm still in bed with pain. Thankfully I can breathe almost normally now. Had to forgo dinner tonight. Throat constriction, hoarseness, painful. I've been reading about jackfruit allergy. I have a huge chance of it happening to me. Jeez.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Sad 5

I'm 96% fine again. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Had our last breakfast at 2 different places on the same street.
lmxsosGq_o.jpg

Big steamed bun and buttermilk bun
eHLwmtqd_o.jpg

All the steamed buns filled with pork are the same. Braised pork, 1/4 boiled egg and 1 shiitake.
3gzHFTh4_o.jpg

On the way to where we had to catch a van to the next destination... Not a Vietnamese restaurant but they have "Phở" and coffee.
rbcuhCnJ_o.jpg

If you must vandalise, at least make it funny. (It's a character from a horror film)
Erz0npEr_o.jpg

We made it to Kota Belud, a small town half way to far north of Borneo. The presence of Chinese-Malays is drastically less than in the capital. We asked the (Malay) driver to drop us off at a Malay restaurant for lunch. It was full of Malays and employees were also Malays, but the food looked Chinese. It's a local restaurant and the food freshly cooked. Chicken is king. We had no iron-rich food since we got to Sabah (I'm anaemic).
4nOTdpAL_o.jpg

Tofu
9YFcZXcJ_o.jpg

Stir-fried lettuce
dPLC08rt_o.jpg

83juhWUb_o.jpg

After lunch we checked out the market. Noticed straight away dried fish/seafood stalls were more numerous than in the capital, and vendors were mostly non Chinese-Malays.
vbnXKKkH_o.jpg

Betel leaves. There are stalls that sell only betel stuff. Some elderly people chew it.
CgzMhcoY_o.jpg

Some dried fish come with sambal
SFLOAx1g_o.jpg

UT8DdHip_o.jpg

I enjoyed eating this vegetable many times in Taiwan and am delighted to see it again at markets in Sabah.
kEpaxr6B_o.jpg

mivDPzod_o.jpg

XC4k0JsT_o.jpg

Ginger flowers
YzIBaRvb_o.jpg

E1nW5uex_o.jpg

Glutinous rice yeast balls hung on nylon strings
pPiwUT5F_o.jpg

It's not fish sauce. I asked. It's local honey.
AeaKmUgq_o.jpg

The fish section is small. The first thing I noticed was the fishmongers. Nearly all were women here whereas it's usually men elsewhere. Did not linger long, the smell was strong.
IVT95rV8_o.jpg

osmjEMwQ_o.jpg

ZvccJ0Kp_o.jpg

There are so many swallow nests inside that the solution is to hang big plastic sheet above the stalls.
GFE64L1s_o.jpg

After done checking out every row I went back to my favourite stall:
s4XZBeS2_o.jpg

bYoMrlWu_o.jpg

It's huge. Lots of water. I drank and drank. Took a while to finish drinking all the water.
bK1GsFsF_o.jpg

I said I wanted to eat the flesh but had no spoon, "I'll make you a spoon". The "spoon" (a sharp piece of green otter shell) actually worked. But when a coconut has a lot of water there is very little meat. This one had no meat. You can see the inside of the coconut, the thicker the meat (endosperm) the whiter the interior. There's nothing here.
zWVsV6ne_o.jpg

Apparently we were the town's latest attraction. Many people stared at us everywhere. Some grown people and children said "hello hello". When I bought something or asked about something and if they could speak any English at all they had questions for me. This small rural town doesn't see a lot of tourists. They only come for the big regional weekly Sunday market by the coach load (package tours) and go right back to the capital after browsing the market.
iUrFmIbR_o.jpg

Sunset in rural Kota Belud seen from one of my room's windows.
W9bH0Ssp_o.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Sat next to a young man in the mini van on my way to his home town Kota Belud whom I asked many questions about the town, durians, its food and whatnot. He said to try the town's favourite noodle soup ("Mi Sup"). So the next morning I set out to look for Mi Sup. It's not hard to find and when I found this food centre it seemed everyone was eating the soup.

We tried from different stalls. It's OK to sit down at one stall (you must order something here first) and also order something else from different stalls. The broth is different, obviously every stall has its own recipe. Chewy, fine (wheat?) noodles, chicken broth, topped with shredded chicken (or in small chunks with bones).
Xpld59mQ_o.jpg

q6c81ung_o.jpg

ElgCm6n6_o.jpg

I walked through the market every day to find fruits or whatever.
HdCMESeX_o.jpg

This is what makes Malay food taste good... Shrimp paste.
7qrqoKOJ_o.jpg

In the old days they used something very simple to shred coconut or to obtain the milk manually. Now it's electric. The elderly man wanted me to make his photo. Thank you, mister!
N9nOenGP_o.jpg

Malaysia is deep-frying paradise. Seems almost anything can be deep-fried here.
fkgc7cX8_o.jpg

A coconut a day. The coconut and the dried fish vendors share the same stall. He speaks English just fine, the young woman who runs the dried fish stall is very highly proficient, her mother as well. The reason we stopped by their stalls every day, besides buying a coconut, was to ask about typical topics such as travelling in Sabah, food, customs, transport etc. When someone is happy to provide insightful information I take this opportunity to learn. The stallholders could answer all our questions, were super friendly and helpful. This small, insignificant town most tourists wouldn't even consider staying the night has most friendly and welcoming locals. We are glad we gave it a chance.
fi7OnZMO_o.jpg

We love to drink coconut water and in Borneo it's so common and easy to find. The prices varies so you must ask first. Anywhere between 2-7 ringgits.

ickAUgkK_o.jpg

Fish flavoured crackers
s30KcfU8_o.jpg

s30KcfU8_o.jpg
Do I lick the pods? Garlic-flavoured whole peanuts in their pods.
SoVBEQXI_o.jpg

Durian flavoured fruit concentrate
KppUxS51_o.jpg

4P9Y3BEv_o.jpg

I like green mango salad and by now I have noticed only Malay/Muslim eateries have it.
TwNzrSne_o.jpg

And they always have aubergines in a red sauce
QSZIzo0b_o.jpg

Hard boiled egg in sambal
2pVuSnwA_o.jpg

Chicken
ANo2FwUx_o.jpg

We had the first river tour this afternoon. Unfortunately it didn't go well at all. Started out good, though.

This is the real Sabah. Very rural, wild, life is simple, oil palm plantations dominate the landscape, people are ready to smile at each other and strangers. As a tourist you simply don't have access to many places, especially deeply rural, wild or rugged areas. You must join a tour and fill out a form declaring all the details. Sabah is the poorest state but (one of) the most expensive to travel in because of the tours. On top of that, some tours' prices are higher if you are a foreigner. But in general, when shopping, if there's no price on something and you are a foreigner you will probably pay more than locals, but not always, to make it clear. I'm glad it's not as bad as some other countries, though. I really hate dual-pricing/OK-to-rip-off-the-tourists system in certain countries. I tend to shun them.
https://images2.imgbox.com/21/4c/l0QUvyS2_o.jpg

qMNUujGr_o.jpg

HmfVPkgK_o.jpg

JWYKNzR4_o.jpg

Just 1 lousy photo of a macaque a few minutes into the boat ride then it started raining.
Uwv5teSi_o.jpg

The rain picked up the pace so fast and hard we were all soaked like swimming with clothes on (the boat had a roof but open on all sides, the wind blew the big fat rain horizontally through the boat!). Oh well, you win some, you lose some. Nature owns you nothing. It was dried again later and we could jump back in the boat to see fireflies. So many, floating like snow in the dark.
3IE1AG4i_o.jpg

The food included in the price of the tour: sweets and buffet dinner. I didn't touch the sweets and had only a little taste of dinner.
ibM3Anpw_o.jpg

tVIdhDwG_o.jpg

uYIJldSX_o.jpg

This mountain is on the flag of Sabah. Also appears not once but twice on the state's coat of arms.
https://images2.imgbox.com/34/17/x37llNUQ_o.jpg

Seen from my room every morning.
90jTF96Z_o.jpg

There's a swallow nest under the roof (far right). The chicks were so loud much of the day.
XT59YZHW_o.jpg

Indeed!
zS6Iqeo8_o.jpg

• Like 1