• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

14 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Why are those particular fruits not allowed in the hotel?

I understand the durian and, to a lesser extent the mangosteen but the jackfruit has me beat.

Durian is banned in many hotels and even on buses across SE Asia because it stinks. I don't mind the smell and love the fruit, but many people find it revolting. I have a friend here who won't even walk past a shop selling it. She'll cross the street to avoid it.

I'm guessing mangosteens because they stain a purple color when peeled. They certainly don't smell.

I look forward to @BonVivant's thoughts.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Why are those particular fruits not allowed in the hotel?

I understand the durian and, to a lesser extent the mangosteen but the jackfruit has me beat.

Durian is banned in many hotels and even on buses across SE Asia because it stinks. I don't mind the smell and love the fruit, but many people find it revolting. I have a friend here who won't even walk past a shop selling it.

I'm guessing mangosteens because they stain a purple color when peeled. The certainly don't smell.

I look forward to @BonVivant's thoughts.