• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New to me: Coconut Vinegar

Shel_B

There are some recipes I'd like to try that call for this product. I've never used coconut vinegar, in fact, hadn't even heard of it until two days ago.  What should I be seeking and what should be avoided with this product. Is coconut vinegar the same thing as coconut aminos?  While searching for the vinegar coconut aminos also came up.

... Shel

I bought some a few years ago.  Coconut Secret is a brand that was recommended to me but I ended up purchasing the store brand at Sprouts.  It's a nice, mild vinegar. Not too sharp and it doesn't taste particularly strongly of coconut.

I used it to make the homemade Goan-style chouriço sausage from Nik Sharma's book Season, in several marinades and to make a pineapple coconut shrub. 

I need to get some more. 

Coconut aminos are not the same thing. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
Missing word (log)
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

@blue_dolphin  and @liuzhou  The recipe writer suggested that cider vinegar could be used as a substitute for the coconut vinegar. Would you agree?  

ACV is sharper, coconut vinegar is a little milder and sweeter but that’s the standard substitution recommendation. Since I was easily able to find it, I didn’t test the recipes with ACV so I can’t really say. 

I have also seen champagne vinegar recommended as a sub for coconut vinegar. 

• Thanks 2

On 4/24/2024 at 2:38 PM, blue_dolphin said:

ACV is sharper, coconut vinegar is a little milder and sweeter but that’s the standard substitution recommendation. Since I was easily able to find it, I didn’t test the recipes with ACV so I can’t really say. 

I have also seen champagne vinegar recommended as a sub for coconut vinegar. 

Pineapple vinegar is another mild one that could be used as a sub.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Pineapple vinegar is another mild one that could be used as a sub.

Does it have a pineappley-citrusy taste?

... Shel

8 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

Does it have a pineappley-citrusy taste?

The one I have, from Rancho Gordo, tastes sour and pineapple-y.  I can't detect a citrus note in that one. I love it for making quick pickled red onions or a simple salsa with manzano chiles, onion, oregano Indio and a little salt. 

• Like 3