• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dull food-processor blade options

Shel_B

On 4/6/2024 at 1:48 PM, Shel_B said:

Turns out that my machine is from the '80s, so it's about forty years old.

I have a DLC-7 Pro from that era that I also believe is of better quality than current production.  But I was happy to get the redesigned blade.

Frankly, I think it's pretty dumb to drop a chunk of hard cheese into the feed tube to grate, because it will batter against the plastic cover parts with great force.  When it finally gets thin enough, it slips between the disk and cover and wreaks havoc there.

Microplane!

• Like 1

Cuisinart makes a dedicated Parmesan grating disc.  I got mine on the recommendation of @andiesenji.  Though most recently I've been using a mandoline for Parmesan.  Before that I was using my box grater with star cutting holes.  In the unlikely event I needed a humongous amount of Parmesan I'd dig out the Cuisinart.

But to be clear, the only way I'd process hard cheese in the Cuisinart would be with the Parmesan grating disc.  Any other method is asking for injury at best.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Cuisinart makes a dedicated Parmesan grating disc.

I didn't know that until I saw it posted here.  I don't need to grate much Parm., etc, but it would be nice to have that option. When my chopping blade issue is resolved, I may get the hard cheese blade.

Edited by Shel_B
spelling typo (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

8 hours ago, Laurentius said:

I have a DLC-7 Pro from that era that I also believe is of better quality than current production.  But I was happy to get the redesigned blade.

Frankly, I think it's pretty dumb to drop a chunk of hard cheese into the feed tube to grate, because it will batter against the plastic cover parts with great force.  When it finally gets thin enough, it slips between the disk and cover and wreaks havoc there.

Microplane!

I don't use the feed tube; I put the pieces in the workbowl. But as I said previously, it wears out the bowl, particularly now as the plastic in the workbowl is so inferior. It used to take me several years to wear out the bowl.

Glad you have hands which will support a microplane endeavour.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity (log)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

I have one of those discs.  It's in the tub with all the other unused ones.  Microplane...

I have and use Microplane and similar graters. Still, there are times when it would be nice to have the option of the Cuisinart grater disc available.  I have other discs available that rarely get used, but there are times that they have come in handy.

... Shel

1 minute ago, Shel_B said:

there are times that they have come in handy.

You must cook much larger portions/batches than I do.  While I love my DLC7 Pro, I rarely use the steel blade, and almost never use the discs.