• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Sauce Cookbooks

As an adjunct to the Fish Sauce topic, here are three books specifically dealing with fish sauce and recipes using that.

First up, The Red Boat Fish Sauce Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by the makers of Vietnam's finest nước mắm.

Screenshot_20240304_095849_com.tencent.mm_edit_361602099552636.thumb.jpg.798c63c730d5ae57c6fb789942db6777.jpg

Then a general selection of 50 recipes using fish sauces from around the world: The Fish Sauce Cookbook (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Victoria Meewes.

Screenshot_20240304_095916_com.tencent.mm_edit_361571032324515.thumb.jpg.25718c698ba018705801db86ef1b240d.jpg

And finally, The Story of Garum (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) by Sally Grainger for the history and background.

Screenshot_20240304_180444_edit_386207995325444.thumb.jpg.db36bd29cda1672d4045d37d049f8ed6.jpg(

Of the three, I've only read the last, so can't vouch for any recipes. Anyone?

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I don't know about the cookbooks, but Phu Quoc is on our short list of winter travel destinations.  Visiting a few fish sauce producers is a priority for that trip!

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

I don't know about the cookbooks, but Phu Quoc is on our short list of winter travel destinations.  Visiting a few fish sauce producers is a priority for that trip!

I'm told the Red Boat factory visit is worth the visit. Unfortunately, it was closed when I was there.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm told the Red Boat factory visit is worth the visit. Unfortunately, it was closed when I was there.

The address and opening time etc is in my post about Vietnamese fish sauce over here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

The address and opening time etc is in my post about Vietnamese fish sauce over here.

Thanks - it won't be for about 2 years - we're already booked for our vacation this coming winter.  Prior to our trip, I was planning to contact the companies I wanted to visit - I didn't want to just show up, especially at that time of year.

• Like 1