• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I found a 2014 recipe on my computer from a really nice lady and very good cook from NOLA for New Orleans style shrimp. More than half way through the recipe, it wasn't working so I looked up the original from Chef Jared Besh and discovered a cup of oyster liquor missing so I had to make some changes in the recipe but it still turned out well.  One thing that helped the taste  was using wild caught Gulf shrimp. I had never noticed that kind before and it was much better tasting than what is usually available here in Kansas. It brought back memories of what shrimp used to taste like a long time ago.  If they continue to carry them, I will have to get one of those shrimp tools for shelling and deveining. It was no small chore to do them all by hand.

IMG_1881.jpg

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I found a 2014 recipe on my computer from a really nice lady and very good cook from NOLA for New Orleans style shrimp. More than half way through the recipe, it wasn't working so I looked up the original from Cher Jared Besh and discovered a cup of oyster liquor missing so I had to make some changes in the recipe but it still turned out well.  One thing that helped the taste  was using wild caught Gulf shrimp. I had never noticed that kind before and it was much better tasting than what is usually available here in Kansas. It brought back memories of what shrimp used to taste like a long time ago.  If they continue to carry them, I will have to get one of those shrimp tools for shelling and deveining. It was no small chore to do them all by hand.

IMG_1881.jpg