• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

25 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

Alas, I figured as much. From my googling, it appears that to qualify it must, at bare minimum, be beef or lamb. Is that the main distinction?

Also, is there a 'name' for a dish like this with chicken, or just 'chicken shepherd's pie'?

Today, shepherd's pie is nearly always considered to be lamb. Beef would be cottage pie. In the distant past, however, only 'meat' was called for.

I don't recall a name for a chicken version. I don't recall a chicken version. There are mentions of shepherdess pie, this being a vegetarian atrocity not fit to grace these forums. 

That said, I'd happily dig into your pie.

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

Alas, I figured as much. From my googling, it appears that to qualify it must, at bare minimum, be beef or lamb. Is that the main distinction?

Also, is there a 'name' for a dish like this with chicken, or just 'chicken shepherd's pie'?

Today, shepherd's pie is always considered to be lamb. Beef would be cottage pie. I don't recall a name for a chicken version. I don't recall a chicken version. There are mentions of shepherdess pie, this being a vegetarian atrocity. 

That said, I'd happily dig into your pie.