• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

14 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I had such an epiphany maybe half dozen years ago when I stood tall and announced, after some 50 years of hosting, "I have cooked my LAST turkey!"  .

I declared the same, several years ago. So my husband does the whole job, including gravy! I'm so happy to give it up. The truth is, excluding what my mother always referred to as "the Pope's nose," turkey bores me to death. Although my husband's gravy is to die for on mashed potatoes. As long as I am in control of the potatoes.  

We did however totally give up on stuffing the bird. We used to make a giant amount of chestnut and bread stuffing, using the better part of it for vegetarian stuffing cooked separately. For many years there were grandparents (husband's parents), four siblings plus spouses and five cousins. Now it's a tamer affair. The cousins are spread out over the country and often go to their respective partners' families for the holiday. The only new generation is my daughter's twins, and they all stay in Atlanta and do it up with friends. This year will be the largest group since before the pandemic and everyone will be a grown-up, including some of my sister-in-law's boyfriend's relations. Hopefully his nephew will do a repeat of his fantastic mac n cheese, which was never a part of Thanksgiving for my family or my husband's family and for which I am eternally grateful! 

Edited because I thought I was in the Thanksgiving thread!

Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow

13 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I had such an epiphany maybe half dozen years ago when I stood tall and announced, after some 50 years of hosting, "I have cooked my LAST turkey!"  .

I declared the same, several years ago. So my husband does the whole job, including gravy! I'm so happy to give it up. The truth is, excluding what my mother always referred to as "the Pope's nose," turkey bores me to death. Although my husband's gravy is to die for on mashed potatoes. As long as I am in control of the potatoes.  

We did however totally give up on stuffing the bird. We used to make a giant amount of chestnut and bread stuffing, using the better part of it for vegetarian stuffing cooked separately. For many years there were grandparents (husband's parents), four siblings plus spouses and five cousins. Now it's a tamer affair. The cousins are spread out over the country and often go to their respective partners' families for the holiday. The only new generation is my daughter's twins, and they all stay in Atlanta and do it up with friends. This year will be the largest group since before the pandemic and everyone will be a grown-up, including some of my sister-in-law's boyfriend's relations. Hopefully his nephew will do a repeat of his fantastic mac n cheese, which was never a part of Thanksgiving for my family or my husband's family and for which I am eternally grateful!