• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground pork often has a sulfur-y smell when I open the package

gfweb

On several occasions this has happened. Pork always looks OK and is well before the sell-by date.

What's up with this?  I can't imagine packers treating the pork with H2S like they sometimes do with CO to make meat stay pink.

• Sad 1

I'll admit, I often smell things that other people don't. That being said, a lot of packaged meat smells weird to me when I open the package, but after a few minutes, the smell goes away. Can't say that I've noticed a sulphur smell but I may well be immune to that as our well water has a sulphur smell right out of the tap, but is fine after it sits for a few minutes. (And yes, we have a purification system and get our water tested every couple of years.)

6 minutes ago, gfweb said:

It was.

But I never noticed that smell with other meats.

I have personally only experienced it with pork. Skeeved me out on initial occasion. Butcher got a bit testy with me as by tme got back to store - smell gone but still in my smell memory iph that makes any sense.

• Like 1

I know the smell you're talking about.  Ground pork--and pork chops, now that I think about it,  always smell "off" to me.  I make Ronnie smell it and he always says it's fine.  I also don't notice it with other meats.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

I know the smell you're talking about.  Ground pork--and pork chops, now that I think about it,  always smell "off" to me.  I make Ronnie smell it and he always says it's fine.  I also don't notice it with other meats.

That smell is just there when you open the plastic.  Gone in a moment.

Good heavens.  We buy a fair amount of pork for Chinese food cooking and also for the pup.  And I have never  ever noticed such a smell...and I am very picky about such things.  I mean...very picky...^_^  (best emoticon I could find...)

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.