• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleavers

Jaymes

On 11/12/2023 at 11:37 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Enoking seems to be a decent Chinese brand of cooking knifes.

I don't know, but I can find no evidence that it is a Chinese brand. The name in 'Chinese' does not equate to Enoking and using the 'Chinese' name on an internet image search only returns a bunch of images from garish looking comics. No knives. 

Not to say that they don't make good knives.

To over-simplify, there are basically two types of Chinese cleavers. What we call a 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally translates as 'vegetable knife' but really means kitchen knife or chef's knife. This is most cooks' go to in China. Mine weighs 434 grams.

caidao.thumb.jpg.d536d8d749751e016a4e7314ffb03532.jpg

菜刀 (cài dāo)

The second is 切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo), literally meaning 'cut bone knife', sometimes (incorrectly) translated as meat cleavers. These are considerably heavier and meant for butchering. They are designed specifically for cutting through bones. They are much less common in domestic kitchens. Mine is almost three times heavier than the cai dao, being 1.2 kg.

bonecleaver.thumb.jpg.a85b5fb8f7b452ec5467fcdabbbccfea.jpg

切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo)

From your description, the heaviness and the image on Amazon, I think you may have bought the second type.

To my amusement, while trying to find any reference to Enoking, I came across Serious Eats article on the best Chinese cleavers. Not only was there no reference to Enoking, but all the Chinese cleavers they recommended were Japanese! Seriously?????

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

49 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I don't know, but I can find no evidence that it is a Chinese brand. The name in 'Chinese' does not equate to Enoking and using the 'Chinese' name on an internet image search only returns a bunch of images from garish looking comics. No knives. 

To over-simplify, there are basically two types of Chinese cleavers. What we call a 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally translates as 'vegetable knife' but really means kitchen knife or chef's knife. This is most cooks' go to in China.

菜刀 (cài dāo)

The second is 切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo), literally meaning 'cut bone knife', sometimes (incorrectly) translated as meat cleavers. These are considerably heavier and meant for butchering. They are designed specifically for cutting through bones. They are much less common in domestic kitchens.

bonecleaver.thumb.jpg.a85b5fb8f7b452ec5467fcdabbbccfea.jpg

切骨 切 (qiē gǔ dāo)

From your description, the heaviness and the image on Amazon, I think you may have bought the second type.

To my amusement, while trying to find any reference to Enoking, I came across Serious Eats article on the best Chinese cleavers. Not only was there no reference to Enoking, but all the Chinese cleavers they recommended were Japanese! Seriously?????

There is no country of origin listed for the cleaver I purchased that I can find, but for other Enoking knives where the country is specified it is always China.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Enoking knives where the country is specified it is always China.

'Chinese knives' doesn't mean they're from China. Maybe China style. I can't find any trace of any such company anywhere in China. In fact, even in America it is only listed on your beloved Amazon with a mere trace on Walmart. The Chinese name on the blade is nonsensical.In Japanese it means monarch or champions, but I can find no trace of that company or brand in Japan, either..

Anyway, I only mentioned the name in passing. My real point is that you have bought a butcher's knife for chopping bones.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

19 hours ago, liuzhou said:

'Chinese knives' doesn't mean they're from China. Maybe China style. I can't find any trace of any such company anywhere in China. In fact, even in America it is only listed on your beloved Amazon with a mere trace on Walmart. The Chinese name on the blade is nonsensical.In Japanese it means monarch or champions, but I can find no trace of that company or brand in Japan, either..

Anyway, I only mentioned the name in passing. My real point is that you have bought a butcher's knife for chopping bones.

Never would it have occurred to me that a cleaver could be more than one type of knife.  With my bias of being in the US I thought all cleavers were for chopping essentially anything?  I recall Watanabe offers or offered Chinese style cleavers, although Watanabe's cleavers are indeed expensive.  Even more expensive are the restored cleavers offered by New West Knife works, some more than 100 years old, and all about $1000.

https://www.newwestknifeworks.com/collections/restored-antique-meat-cleavers

Maybe what is meant by cleaver is a cultural thing?  My sense of what a cleaver is corresponds to Wikipedia's article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleaver

I hope @Jaymes was not as confused as I.

Westerners primarily identify cleavers by shape. They're tall rectangles. But there are many types of tall rectangular knives. Butchery cleavers are extremely thick compared to standard western chef knives. They're not general purpose knives and aren't especially useful to ordinary home cooks. There are also thinner cleavers that are general purpose blades designed to cut basically anything boneless. They're essentially the Chinese equivalent of the European chef knife and are great for home cooks. Most Japanese made Chinese-style cleavers (chuka bocho) are patterned after this thinner style of cleaver. Including Watanabe. The lightest type of this cleaver is a songdou or mulberry knife, which is great for delicate work an

There's really an entire spectrum running from thin slicer cleavers up to thick bone choppers. Most cooks don't need a butchery cleaver, but could find a lot of uses for a thinner, general purpose cleaver. Here's a not terrible overview of some different styles of Chinese cleaver:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Westerners primarily identify cleavers by shape. They're tall rectangles. But there are many types of tall rectangular knives. Butchery cleavers are extremely thick compared to standard western chef knives. They're not general purpose knives and aren't especially useful to ordinary home cooks. There are also thinner cleavers that are general purpose blades designed to cut basically anything boneless. They're essentially the Chinese equivalent of the European chef knife and are great for home cooks. Most Japanese made Chinese-style cleavers (chuka bocho) are patterned after this thinner style of cleaver. Including Watanabe. The lightest type of this cleaver is a songdou or mulberry knife, which is great for delicate work an

There's really an entire spectrum running from thin slicer cleavers up to thick bone choppers. Most cooks don't need a butchery cleaver, but could find a lot of uses for a thinner, general purpose cleaver. Here's a not terrible overview of some different styles of Chinese cleaver:

Thanks for the video.  After watching, I ordered a much lighter and longer Chinese cleaver of a different brand.  It will be interesting to  see how the two cleavers compare.

My Warmot Chinese Cleaver arrived this evening.  I can't say it sparks joy or confidence.  Compared to the Enoking Nakiri, it is the same length and about twice the height.  While weight of the Warmot is 238 g vs. 253 g for the Enoking Nikiri.  Enoking specifies their steel as 9CR18MOV.  Warmot says their cleaver is "alloy steel".  And they say the cleaver is forged, although it appears stamped to me.  If you assert a stamped blade is forged, I guess that does qualify as forgery.

Meanwhile the Warmot cleaver is not the sharpest in the drawer.  I tested it tonight on radishes and limes.  The Enoking Nikari performed better in all respects.  I have yet to try the Enoking Cleaver.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

And they say the cleaver is forged, although it appears stamped to me.  If you assert a stamped blade is forged, I guess that does qualify as forgery.

LOL, That is very cleaver.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Haha 2

If you're in the market for a thinner Chinese slicing cleaver, I highly recommend buying from a reputable brand like Shi Ba Zi (stainless model F208-1) or CCK (model KF1303 for carbon steel, KF1912 for stainless). Mystery Amazon brands are best avoided. My CCK cleaver destroyed almost all desire for a nakiri (though I'd love to test drive a tall 185mm Watanabe sometime).

• Like 1

I know my suggested Zwilling model didn’t make the cut, so I’ll pitch this one

Razor sharp (like all Global knives), „regular“ maintenance with a whetstone - nothing exotic, stylish to boot. If I would need one outside the Zwilling, that‘s the one …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

@Duvel 

globals are very fine knives.

but difficult to sharpen .  said to have ' sticky steel '   ( knifeForum )

got a few some time ago , BB&B  , each w the ubiquitous coupon.

loved everything about them

but had a difficult time w them on the whetstone system I was using 

though KnifeForum , got the pointer to EdgePro.

made all the difference.  

razor sharp they became .  

but I moved on from them

to Watanabe .  very small trust fund required. for those

but spectacular when taken care of  w the EdgePro

as long as you enjoy the feel of the knife in your hand

and its close to the proper size for the job

and you keep it razor sharp 

you've got a knife for your ages.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

A cleaver I bought in Chinatown more than 40 years ago. I consider it medium weight, good for mincing meat and veggies.  I hardly use this one as I’ve not been able to remove the label and it bothers the heck out of me when I use it.😂

The price was $18.  I also purchased a lighter weight Dexter with Chinese markings on it but I assume it was made in Southbridge, Ma. along with their other products.

IMG_5063.jpeg

• Like 1

What is the practical difference in use between the cleavers with a very flat blade and those with a curved blade? I would think the former would be better for chop-cutting vegetables and the latter maybe better for slicing or rocking but I don't really know anything about Chinese cutting technique.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

24 minutes ago, haresfur said:

What is the practical difference in use between the cleavers with a very flat blade and those with a curved blade? I would think the former would be better for chop-cutting vegetables and the latter maybe better for slicing or rocking but I don't really know anything about Chinese cutting technique.

In general, those with a flat blade are 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally means vegetable knife but is use as a general cook's knives which are used for yes, chopping, but also slicing meats etc. These are usually the only knives in a domestic setting.

Those with the curved blade edges are 切骨刀) (qiē gǔ dāo), literally cut bone knife, and are generally butcher's knives intended for cutting through bones, cartilege etc as well as slicing meats. The meat vendors in every market in China use those. Rare in home kitchens.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

In general, those with a flat blade are 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally means vegetable knife but is use as a general cook's knives which are used for yes, chopping, but also slicing meats etc. These are usually the only knives in a domestic setting.

Those with the curved blade edges are 切骨刀) (qiē gǔ dāo), literally cut bone knife, and are generally butcher's knives intended for cutting through bones, cartilege etc as well as slicing meats. The meat vendors in every market in China use those. Rare in home kitchens.

Well my question/confusion is about the ones you and others have been saying are for home cooks like this one:

On 11/12/2023 at 3:48 PM, liuzhou said:

To over-simplify, there are basically two types of Chinese cleavers. What we call a 菜刀 (cài dāo) which literally translates as 'vegetable knife' but really means kitchen knife or chef's knife. This is most cooks' go to in China. Mine weighs 434 grams.

菜刀 (cài dāo)

vs this one which has a basically flat blade profile

On 11/16/2023 at 7:44 AM, btbyrd said:

The CCK is twice the knife at (less than) half the price. If you like the all metal construction of the Global, try the CCK KF1812. $80 from Action Sales.

I inherited one like the second from my father who used it to whack apart all sorts of things (the spine is covered with hammer marks). I took the chips out of the blade but am not sure whether to put a curve back in or not.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

Well my question/confusion is about the ones you and others have been saying are for home cooks like this one:

Knife curvation is variable in home knives, but not extreme. Bone knives are in general much more curved.