• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Instant Pot New York Style Cheesecake

20230113_130948.thumb.jpg.394c8bba2d02676e049c545370cb0322.jpg

This will make eight small or six larger servings of cheesecake. It will keep for about 5 days in the refrigerator and it will freeze beautifully.

Crust
3/4 cup any type of shortbread cookie (crushed)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
Filling
16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon peel grated
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream, room temperature
1 pinch salt
Sour Cream Layer (optional)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Crust
Add cookies and sugar to the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times, until small crumbs form. Melt butter in microwave and add to cookie mixture. Pulse until just combined.
Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 6 to 8 inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
Place pan with crust into freezer for 20 minutes while you mix up the filling.
Filling
Blend together cream cheese, sugar, flour, grated peels, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add eggs, one at a time, lightly mixing until just combined. Do not over mix the eggs.

Gently stir in the sour cream.
Pour filling into the pan, on top of the crust.
Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the bottom of your pressur cooker and place a trivet inside the pot.
Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and loosely secure the foil.
Place cheesecake into pressure cooker.
Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.  Cook at High Pressure for 35 to 45* minutes. Allow a 20 minute natural release.
After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and leave the cake the cooker. Remove the foil and paper towel. Tilt the cheesecake pan and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
Sour Cream Layer (optional)
Whisk together the sour cream and sugar and then spread on the hot cheesecake.  Let cool inside the pressure cooker for at least one hour.
Tightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight.  Cheesecake can be removed from pan after an hour in the refrigerator.

Note: the gentler that you treat the ingredients, the denser the cake will be. If you want a creamier cheesecake whip the cream cheese sugar and sour cream together, but never whip in the eggs. This will cause air bubbles in the cake that you do not want!

*35 minutes cook time will give you a creamy cheesecake. I like a slightly firmer cheesecake so I generally set mine on high for 45 minutes.

20170903_154321(1).jpg.de838d59a814a24e0ac6cca62a3eb577.jpg

I have made this quite a few times now and it has never failed. And yes, it is much better in the IP than in the oven. It never cracks, and it never falls, and I don't have to babysit it in the IP. I just set it and forget it until it's done

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Crust
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
Filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Crust
Add cookies and sugar to the bowl of food processor and pulse a couple of times, until small crumbs form. Melt butter in microwave and add to cookie mixture. Pulse until just combined.
Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 6 to 8 inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
Filling
Blend together cream cheese, sugar, flour, grated peels, salt and vanilla extract until smooth.
Add eggs, one at a time, lightly mixing until just combined. Do not over mix the eggs.

Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the bottom of your pressur cooker and place a trivet inside the pot.
Cover the cheesecake first with a paper towel and then with a piece of aluminum foil and loosely secure the foil.
Lock on lid and close Pressure Valve.  Cook at High Pressure for 35 to 45* minutes. Allow a 20 minute natural release.
After all pressure has been released, open pressure cooker and leave the cake the cooker. Remove the foil and paper towel. Tilt the cheesecake pan and dab off any liquid that may have accumulated.
Whisk together the sour cream and sugar and then spread on the hot cheesecake.  Let cool inside the pressure cooker for at least one hour.
Tightly cover and place in refrigerator overnight.  Cheesecake can be removed from pan after an hour in the refrigerator.

Note: the gentler that you treat the ingredients, the denser the cake will be. If you want a creamier cheesecake whip the cream cheese sugar and sour cream together, but never whip in the eggs. This will cause air bubbles in the cake that you do not want!

*35 minutes cook time will give you a creamy cheesecake. I like a slightly firmer cheesecake so I generally set mine on high for 45 minutes.

I have made this quite a few times now and it has never failed. And yes, it is much better in the IP than in the oven. It never cracks, and it never falls, and I don't have to babysit it in the IP. I just set it and forget it until it's done

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Crust
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
Filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Crust
Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 8 inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
Filling

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

Crust
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup butter melted
Filling
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons sugar

Crust
Pour cookie mixture into bottom of greased 8 inch cheesecake pan and press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan and no more than one inch up along the sides.
Filling