• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

Steamed tofu with dried shrimp
ftgI5dU.jpg

RtdyURa.jpg

HXARc9t.jpg

---
It was cold again earlier in the week. Sauerkraut and cured-smoked pork belly.
8JqZuwI.jpg

Polish smoked sausage (actually a long one, didn't fit the pan)
IapfzQT.jpg

nI2DWTs.jpg

UoGuvqx.jpg

----
Green sauce for asparagus and bread
I1K4YNR.jpg

Sweet asparagus from my favourite local farm.
X5CJAM0.jpg

o0EJ5J8.jpg

Finally, my fishmonger is able to get flat oysters for me again (couldn't since after lockdown). These taste 3 times better than Pacific oysters. So much umami on their own but even better with some lemon juice and a bottle of wine.The flat ones cost almost twice as much for the typical weekly market shoppers so they (the oysters) are usually sent straight to restaurants and for export.
OxIBaVW.jpg

This simple meal makes me a bit emotional...  Thank you, farmers. Thank you, harvesters. Thank you, fishmonger.

"Nothing is worth more than this day", Goethe once wrote.
ejcTHiR.jpg

Extra photos: fresh from the field. This piece of equipment is called an "asparagus spider". It goes over a row of asparagus, holds up the cover so the worker can harvest. As you can see it's back-breaking work, each and every spear is harvested by hand. This farm is small, they hire a small team of workers from Poland (I saw maybe 5 people, the same team every year, have chatted with them a couple of times). I can't peel like this machine, so thin the peel is near transparent. Pay an extra euro and you can take a bag of the peel home for soup/essence, I always do. Categorised by quality and sizes (prices do come down as the season progresses. This year the price has gone up eur.4). Every time I try asparagus from another farm I go right back to my local farm for more.

BonVivant

BonVivant

ftgI5dU.jpg

RtdyURa.jpg

HXARc9t.jpg

---
8JqZuwI.jpg

IapfzQT.jpg

nI2DWTs.jpg

UoGuvqx.jpg

----
I1K4YNR.jpg

X5CJAM0.jpg

o0EJ5J8.jpg

Finally, my fishmonger is able to get flat oysters for me. These taste 3 times better than Pacific oysters. So much umami on their own but even better with some lemon juice and a bottle of wine.The flat ones cost almost twice as much for the typical weekly market shoppers so they (the oysters) are usually sent straight to restaurants and for export.
OxIBaVW.jpg

This simple meal makes me a bit emotional...  Thank you, farmers. Thank you, harvesters. Thank you, fishmonger.

ejcTHiR.jpg

Extra photos: fresh from the field. This piece of equipment is called an "asparagus spider". It goes over a row of asparagus, holds up the cover so the worker can harvest. As you can see it's back-breaking work, each and every spear is harvested by hand. This farm is small, they hire a small team of workers from Poland (I saw maybe 5 people, the same team every year, have chatted with them a couple of times). I can't peel like this machine, so thin the peel is near transparent. Pay an extra euro and you can take a bag of the peel home for soup/essence, I always do. Categorised by quality and sizes (prices do come down as the season progresses. This year the price has gone up eur.4). Every time I try asparagus from another farm I go right back to my local farm for more.

BonVivant

BonVivant

ftgI5dU.jpg

RtdyURa.jpg

HXARc9t.jpg

---
8JqZuwI.jpg

IapfzQT.jpg

nI2DWTs.jpg

UoGuvqx.jpg

----
I1K4YNR.jpg

X5CJAM0.jpg

o0EJ5J8.jpg

Finally, my fishmonger is able to get flat oysters for me. These taste 3 times better than Pacific oysters. So much umami on their own but even better with some lemon juice and a bottle of wine.The flat ones cost almost twice as much for the typical weekly market shoppers so they (the oysters) are usually sent straight to restaurants and for export.
OxIBaVW.jpg

ejcTHiR.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

ftgI5dU.jpg

RtdyURa.jpg

HXARc9t.jpg

---
8JqZuwI.jpg

IapfzQT.jpg

nI2DWTs.jpg

UoGuvqx.jpg

----
I1K4YNR.jpg

X5CJAM0.jpg

o0EJ5J8.jpg

OxIBaVW.jpg

ejcTHiR.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

ftgI5dU.jpg

RtdyURa.jpg

HXARc9t.jpg

---
8JqZuwI.jpg

IapfzQT.jpg

nI2DWTs.jpg

UoGuvqx.jpg

----
I1K4YNR.jpg

X5CJAM0.jpg

o0EJ5J8.jpg

Finally, my fishmonger is able to get flat oysters for me. These taste 3 times better than Pacific oysters. So much umami on their own but even better with some lemon juice and a bottle of wine.The flat ones cost almost twice as much the weekly market shoppers so they (the oysters) are usually sent straight to restaurants and for export.
OxIBaVW.jpg

ejcTHiR.jpg