• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Replicating a ready-made cake puzzle

Susanwusan

I would like to make something like this https://www.mrkipling.co.uk/our-ranges/favourites/angel-slices.

I bought a packet today, as they were on offer, to get a closer look.

It looks like the two layers and the filling are baked together, not only in the picture but in real life aswell.

What sort of filling can be applied to the first layer of cake batter, be covered with another and baked and still be a separate layer, although in reality it isn't quite as clearly defined as in the picture (not in the packet I bought anyway, which could explain the reduction in price).

• Like 1

I don't think they are actually baked together.  When I Google "Angel Slices recipes" I get recipes that talk about baking cake layers and then making a buttercream for the middle.  They all seem to be three layers rather than two, like those you linked.  But you could adjust for that, if you want to.  I don't want to steer you to any particular recipe because I've never made them, but just Google "angel slices recipes" and you'll find a number of them.  I'd ignore the ones that reference "The Joy of Cooking" because they aren't at all the same thing.  The ones you want to replicate seem to be a British thing.  They remind me a bit of Battenberg Cakes which Mr. Kipling also makes!  Good luck and I hope I haven't steered you wrong!

• Thanks 1