• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I wonder what purpose it serves? Thickener, to help keep the broth or brine from oozing out of the chicken and into the package?

Correct. It ensures that those 15% salted chicken broth stay inside the meat, partly even in the cooked product (if you don’t overdo it). 

Just as an anecdote: adding flavored liquids to meat in Germany to increase weight is not allowed, unless the product specification calls for it (as in “pickled ox tongue”). Carrageenan itself is banned in the EU.

Duvel

Duvel

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I wonder what purpose it serves? Thickener, to help keep the broth or brine from oozing out of the chicken and into the package?

Correct. I ensures that those 15% salted chicken broth stay inside the meat, partly even in the cooked product (if you don’t overdo it). 

Just as an anecdote: adding flavored liquids to meat in Germany to increase weight is not allowed, unless the product specification calls for it (as in “pickled ox tongue”). Carrageenan itself is banned in the EU.