• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I assume you grill them directly over the flame, not with the sheet underneath ? I use the setup in your picture to do my "weekday" wings in the (convection) oven, which yields moderately crispy wings in about 20-25 min with minimum effort. 

That’s right. The rack/pan is just my default platter for taking stuff off the grill so it doesn’t steam out and get soggy. Plus I can throw the wings in the oven if they start to cool off too much. I’ve been meaning to try just cooking them in the oven, but the grill is basically just as easy. I may give it a shot sometime soon (probably with a baking powder or soda pretreat) and see if I can get a crispier result without frying.

btbyrd

btbyrd

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

I assume you grill them directly over the flame, not with the sheet underneath ? I use the setup in your picture to do my "weekday" wings in the (convection) oven, which yields moderately crispy wings in about 20-25 min with minimum effort. 

That’s right. The rack/pan is just my default platter for taking stuff off the grill so it doesn’t steam out and get soggy. Plus I can throw the wings in the oven if they start to cool off too much. I’ve been meaning to try just cooking them in the oven, but the grill is basically just as easy. I may give it a shot sometime soon and see if I can get a crispier result.

btbyrd

btbyrd

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

That’s right. The rack/pan is just my default platter for taking stuff off the grill so it doesn’t steam out and get soggy. Plus I can throw the wings in the oven if they start to cool off too much. I’ve been meaning to try just cooking them in the oven, but the grill is basically just as easy. I may give it a shot sometime soon and see if I can get a crispier result.

A8182D41-6C1E-40E8-9108-8661307B46DE.jpeg

BDB2AFEC-46D5-4CA6-B133-9312EBAA599F.jpeg