• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerala

Kerala

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@Keralathose look nice and plump for sure.  I have googled this which turned up the Cooks Illustrated treatment….once the tendons have been cut, they instruct you to pull out the tendons using pliers.  I wonder if that results in some meat being pulled out with the tendons?

Wow. There sure is a lot of tendon visible after cutting, but it all disappears to the eye when cooked. The chicken tastes great, and I can't imagine an improvement from pulling the tendons out with pliers.

But you know what? I was perfectly happy with chicken drumsticks grilled without cutting the tendons - until I found this technique. Now, uncut is definitely a B rather than an A. It does add significantly to preparation time. I'm a bit scared now to try out this pliers technique!

Kerala

Kerala

9 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@Keralathose look nice and plump for sure.  I have googled this which turned up the Cooks Illustrated treatment….once the tendons have been cut, they instruct you to pull out the tendons using pliers.  I wonder if that results in some meat being pulled out with the tendons?

Wow. There sure is a lot of tendon visible after cutting, but it all disappears to the eye when cooked. The chicken tastes great, and I can't imagine an improvement from pulling the tendons out with pliers.

But you know what? I was perfectly happy with chicken drumsticks grilled without cutting the tendons - until I found this technique. Now, uncut is definitely a B rather than an A. It does add significantly to preparation time. I'm a bit scared now to try out this plers technique!