• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

Breakfast cereal .

I don't keep breakfast cereal these days as I have to

1 ) get the box      2 ) keep the seal tight , esp in the summer w the humidity here

2 ) and have milk on hand.

but I had a hankering for it , after all , its crunchy , etc   etc.

I do my best not to buy branded products , if there is a generic that's close enough for me

the advertising cost of branded cereals is for more than average advertising , as its a cut throat market

all those cartoons , all that sugar add up.

I was in MarketBasket and looked at their selection .  they had a fair number of store branded equivalents.

I got a box of generic wheaties , a cereal I like .  no billionaire basketball stars on the cover

$ 5.00 for two boxes.

was at Stop&Shop on another errand , walked down the cereal isle   its a bigger store

the isle was all cereal on once side , and 1/2 on the other .  no generics nor store brands

Wheaties , in a slightly larger box , mostly added air , w a billionaire somebody on the cover :

wait for it :

$ 7.89 .   one box.         if I remember next time Im there , I'll check the actual weight of that box.

Im interested in Economics , and over and over in the WSJ  there are articles on now thin

the margins are on the cereal industry :  General Mills , etc  

and the decline of cereal purchases by percentages recently.

no wonder .

of course all Billionaires covet to be billionaires ++ I guess.

as do Tigers and Flintstones.

rotuts

rotuts

Breakfast cereal .

I don't keep breakfast cereal these days as I have to

1 ) get the box      2 ) keep the seal tight , esp in the summer w the humidity here

2 ) and have milk on had.

but I had a hankering for it , after all , its crunchy , etc   etc.

I do my best not to buy branded products , if there is a generic that's close enough for me

the advertising cost of branded cereals is for more than average advertising , as its a cut throat market

all those cartoons , all that sugar add up.

I was in MarketBasket and looked at their selection .  they had a fair number of store branded equivalents.

I got a box of generic wheaties , a cereal I like .  no billionaire basketball stars on the cover

$ 5.00 for two boxes.

was at Stop&Shop on another errand , walked down the cereal isle   its a bigger store

the isle was all cereal on once side , and 1/2 on the other .  no generics nor store brands

Wheaties , in a slightly larger box , mostly added air , w a billionaire somebody on the cover :

wait for it :

$ 7.89 .   one box.         if I remember next time Im there , I'll check the actual weight of that box.

Im interested in Economics , and over and over in the WSJ  there are articles on now thin

the margins are on the cereal industry :  General Mills , etc  

and the decline of cereal purchases by percentages recently.

no wonder .

of course all Billionaires covet to be billionaires ++ I guess.

as do Tigers and Flintstones.