• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Not trying to be a downer, but if we include the ecological / societal costs of raising meat, it should expensive as hell.

By these standards Australian lamb should cost $100/lb.

I hear you but that's based on the industrial model of CAFO's and all the hell they embody.  Unfortunately that's the only paradigm we know in any practical way.  Beef cattle raised on a small, managed intensive rotational grazing basis is a totally different thing environmentally. 

Edit:  It's a paradoxical thing, I find, to know the animals we eat.  Even love them.  This was Charlie, a young bull l loved very much.  I used to help friends who raise 4-5 cows on 10 acres of very well managed paddocks; I used their raw Ayrshire milk to make French alpine cheeses, Abondance primarily.  Charlie was slaughtered and butchered on their land.  I ate his flesh.  I think the world would be a better place if we could all eat like this.

Paul and Charlie II (2).jpg

paul o' vendange

paul o' vendange

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Not trying to be a downer, but if we include the ecological / societal costs of raising meat, it should expensive as hell.

By these standards Australian lamb should cost $100/lb.

I hear you but that's based on the industrial model of CAFO's and all the hell they embody.  Unfortunately that's the only paradigm we know in any practical way.  Beef cattle raised on a small, managed intensive rotational grazing basis is a totally different thing environmentally.