• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Expensive Tasting Menus in The US - Maybe Ever? Per Se and Masa Say: Let Them Eat Cake!

weinoo

I know some were kvetching when the price for eleven Madison Park's vegan tasting menu became known...$335 per person. (Though they actually do have a shorter, plant-based tasting menu in the lounge, at $175).

But how about this...

Two of the country’s most-expensive culinary establishments, Masa and Per Se, will soon become even more inaccessible as the oligarch-friendly venues push the costs of their most-luxe offerings — along with their steep cancellation fees — further into the stratosphere. This is the story of two $800 tasting menus, a restaurant pricing tier that appears to be without precedent in the U.S.

Wine is extra. That means dinner for two can easily hit $2,000 at either venue, a price tag that’s surely out-of-reach even for patrons who like to save up for special-occasion meals, the way theatergoers or sports fans might splurge on great seats.

With New $800 Menus, Masa and Per Se Become Even More Inaccessible

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

It’s hard to swallow. 

Well at least José Andrés has $100 million with which to help feed the poor. Which really doesn’t go anywhere near to bridging the gap between the haves and the have nots.     Here.

just saying. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog