• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Year of Cooking, And I'm Using (blank) More Than Ever Before

weinoo

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

Flat iron steaks. Even when there was no meat in the stores I had a couple dozen in the Fz.  Cheap, beefy and tender.

I agree with you on the flat iron steaks except for the cheap part.  They are expensive here as are hangar steaks.

• Like 1

Browned butter.  I decided to go through the process and brown a whole pound of butter back when there was a lot of free time... and it is a wonderful thing. I keep it in a mason jar on the counter, and it lasts months.  Perfect for slathering on stuff to go on the grill, or for a saute, etc etc... And I keep the browned milk solids in little vac-sealed pucks in the freezer... I have fond memories of a browned butter lobster roll that emphasized the browned crispy milky bits, so when next some lobsters come my way, they're getting that treatment. 

• Like 5

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I agree with you on the flat iron steaks except for the cheap part.  They are expensive here as are hangar steaks.

@weinoo@CentralMA

Here's the price down here.

This'll feed two of us nicely ...along with sides

20210130_185418.thumb.jpg.5db761c0a8c763668e0ef3f3309bf2e2.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4