• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

17 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I found it very interesting that after all the information that they provide on the danger to children who are picky eaters, they conclude with this.

"Moreover, there is limited knowledge of the eating behaviours of Chinese pre-schoolers".

That is typical. Hedge your bets!

I'd be very careful with 'academic papers' from Chinese sources. About a decade ago, the Party decreed that all members must produce such papers and have them published  or risk being passed over for promotion. This lead to the setting up of 'paper farms' which churn out these papers for a sutable fee. People buy them then 'publish' them in magazines set up just for the puurpose. The 'writers' of the papers pay to have them published, too. They are not peer-reviewed; they are only cash reviewed.  I know of no western universities who accept them. They are notorious in academic circles.

I am frequently asked to 'help' translate these papers. The so-called authors are required to have a brief summary in English, but many hope to have 'their' papers published in western publications. Extra points for that!

So they offer me money to translate them and send me samples to see if I am willing to do the job. These usually arrive still on the farms' headed notepaper. Most of those I see are from medical staff in the local hospital. I am no medic (often neither are they) but even I can see they are nonsense which has no chance of being accepted by any serious academic journal.  I always find that I am "too busy" at the time to help and so, decline.

Now, I'm not saying that the one @Anna Nhas linked to is necessarily of that genre; I'm just saying be very wary.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I found it very interesting that after all the information that they provide on the danger to children who are picky eaters, they conclude with this.

"Moreover, there is limited knowledge of the eating behaviours of Chinese pre-schoolers".

I'd be very careful with 'academic papers' from Chinese sources. About a decade ago, the Party decreed that members must produce such papers and have them published  or risk being passed over for promotion. This lead to the setting up of 'paper farms' which churn out these papers for a sutable fee. People buy them then 'publish' them in magazines set up just for the puurpose. The 'writers' of the papers pay to have them published, too. They are not peer-reviewed; they are only cash reviewed.  I know of no western universities who accept them. They are notorious in academic circles.

I am frequently asked to 'help' translate these papers. The so-called authors are required to have a brief summary in English, but many hope to have 'their' papers published in western publications. Extra points for that!

So they offer me money to translate them and send me samples to see if I am willing to do the job. These usually arrive still on the farms' headed notepaper. Most of those I see are from medical staff in the local hospital. I am no medic (often neither are they) but even I can see they are nonsense which has no chance of being accepted by any serious academic journal.  I always find that I am "too busy" at the time to help and so, decline.

Now, I'm not saying that the one @Anna Nhas linked to is necessarily of that genre; I'm just saying be very wary.