• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

torolover

torolover

23 hours ago, cdh said:

Could you explain your proposed alternative?  "Just sous vide in water" sounds like you intend to ditch the bag and just poach stuff at low temps?  THAT is a recipe for foodborne illness... you're culturing everything in the air in your kitchen that happens to land in the pot full of growth medium at the right temp for bacterial growth.

I have a Sous Vide Supreme.  I was thinking of "Sous Vide" the meats without bags in the Sous Vide Supreme with just water.  The Sous Vide Supreme has a cover, though it's not perfectly air tight.

I would do Chicken Breasts at 141F for 2 hours, Chicken thighs at 165F for 2 hours, and Pork Shoulder at 156F for 24 hours.  Then I would freeze them for future use.

Do you think this is dangerous?

Thanks for all the helpful thoughts everyone!

torolover

torolover

23 hours ago, cdh said:

Could you explain your proposed alternative?  "Just sous vide in water" sounds like you intend to ditch the bag and just poach stuff at low temps?  THAT is a recipe for foodborne illness... you're culturing everything in the air in your kitchen that happens to land in the pot full of growth medium at the right temp for bacterial growth.

I have a Sous Vide Supreme.  I was thinking of Sous Vide meats without bags in the Sous Vide Supreme with water.  The Sous Vide Supreme does have a cover, though not perfectly air tight.

I would do Chicken Breasts at 141F for 2 hours, Chicken thighs at 165F for 2 hours, and Pork Shoulder at 156F for 24 hours.  Then I would freeze them for future use.

torolover

torolover

23 hours ago, cdh said:

I have a Sous Vide Supreme.  I was thinking of Sous Vide meats without bags in the Sous Vide Supreme with water.  The Sous Vide Supreme does have a cover, though not perfectly air tight.

I would do Chicken Breasts at 141F for 2 hours, Chicken thighs at 165F for 2 hours, and Pork Shoulder at 156F for 24 hours.