• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to eat toast and jam.

Anna N

On 3/7/2021 at 3:37 AM, Norm Matthews said:

When I was 9 or 10 and we were visiting my aunt and uncle in West Plains, Mo, my uncle saw me spread my toast with butter then some jam.  He commented disapprovingly, I think it was something about excess.  Even now, I always remembered that, but it never stopped me from doing it.

I like both butter and jelly / jam on toast, in whatever quantities you like. @kayb's toast looks good to me (with that much jam).

Grew up eating jelly or jam on grilled (griddled, really) cheese sandwiches. (Parents got us used to eating grilled cheese that way.) One day, at our grandparents' house, we kids wanted jelly or jam for our grilled cheese and our grandmother balked & refused, too much of a luxury, too excessive. (Not the typical grandmother spoiling her grandchildren.) Anyway, I think our grandfather felt bad and took out a can of Underwood deviled ham spread, which didn't really hit the spot if you're wanting jelly or jam.

And, no, that experience with my grandmother didn't stop me from using jelly / jam on grilled cheese and buttered toast.

Used to like the Knott's Berry Farm boysenberry & seedless boysenberry. Hard to find that now, though.