• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Running multiple restaurants from a single, delivery-only, ghost kitchen

eugenep

This idea seems kinda interesting. It doesn't seem like 4 restaurants but 1 restaurant serving different foods but consumers can be fooled into thinking it's 4 since its a ghost/delivery-only kitchen. I think that former Uber-guy, Travis K., was investing heavily into this idea and building them out? Restaurants can take in the revenues of 4-5 restaurants if they can do it successfully. 

Article in the Wall Street Journal quote: 

"

For his latest culinary venture, veteran New York City chef Franklin Becker has decided to tackle what might seem like a mission impossible. He is opening four restaurants at once, each with different themes and menus, from the Israeli-inspired Shai to the Southern-styled Butterfunk Biscuit Co.

The challenge is mitigated by the fact that Mr. Becker won’t have any actual dining rooms to manage. The restaurants are delivery-only—or ghost kitchens, as they are called in the industry. And they will all operate out of a single location, a 490-square-foot space in Manhattan’s Soho neighborhood." 

See https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-city-chefs-go-the-delivery-route-11613829601?mod=hp_lista_pos3 

34 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

So he isn't opening four restaurants at all. He is opening a kitchen which makes four different types of food and so four menus. it's all just marketing.

Yes, the article is very misleading. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What's old is new again.  About 20 years ago (longer?), a local Chinese restaurant (with Chinese American owners whom I sorta knew) closed its doors and then re-opened, mostly as a take-out/delivery place, in a less populated nearby area.  We all got flyers, with the full menu, advertising this.  Soon thereafter, the neighborhood got flyers announcing the opening of a "country kitchen" take-out/delivery place with fried chicken, meatloaf, etc.  And, not long thereafter, another bunch of flyers advertising a new ribs/bbq joint for takeout/delivery.  All with different names, all with different phone #s, all with completely different menus.  All with the same address and, as I quickly found out, the same kitchen.  The Chinese food still sucked, the country kitchen was ehh/okay & I liked the ribs place's stuff.  I went there and told the owner that.

This brings back a remembrance from the last century.  In a New Jersey strip mall north of here there were an Afghan restaurant and a Thai restaurant that shared the same kitchen.  I'm told the owners were an Afghan/Thai couple.  I only sampled the Afghan establishment but I thought the food was excellent.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou