• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Loop: Large-Scale Trial of Reusable Packaging

chromedome

I've seen a couple of news stories about this, lately. The startup, Loop, is essentially positioning itself to follow the beverage bottle/can recycling model, but within the grocery and fast-food ecosystem. They're operating in a handful of countries already, but here in Canada their partnership with Loblaw - one of our two national supermarket chains, and owner of our major pharmacy chain as well - gives them an unusually high profile.

Thoughts?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/loop-reusable-packaging-1.5910620

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Interesting and I like it,  but seems like it has to be expensive with all the schlepping and cleaning involved. One company it says charges a $5 deposit. Big price to enter if that's the norm.

The old milk delivery guy would pick up the empties and did fine until the supermarket started selling milk in cartons.  What has changed to give the old model a financial advantage?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

The old milk delivery guy would pick up the empties and did fine until the supermarket started selling milk in cartons.  What has changed to give the old model a financial advantage?

A couple of the other stories I've looked at have offered up a few theories. One, of course, is the pandemic. Another is the rise of home delivery for basically "every freakin' thing," thanks to Amazon and meal-prep kits and suchlike.

It could also just be an example of "everything old is new again" (except my knees, sadly). :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning