• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

@Bernie

Are you proposing to have the braising liquid be the same saltiness as the brine so that no water is drawn out of the meat?

Meat drying has a couple of mechanisms that I'm not sure how to factor-in.

There's the effect of  heat that denatures protein and squeezes water out when the protein contracts. Sous vide and braising minimize this

There's also the effect of evaporation that makes meat lose water.  Steam ovens and sous vide minimize this

I can't predict what happens to the water brought into the meat by brining.  Probably the same thing.

gfweb

gfweb

@Bernie

Are you proposing to have the braising liquid be the same saltiness as the brine so that no water is drawn out of the meat?

Meat drying has a couple of factors that I'm not sure how to factor-in.

There's the effect of  heat that denatures protein and squeezes water out when the protein contracts. Sous vide and braising minimizes this

There's also the effect of evaporation that makes meat lose water.  Steam ovens and sous vide minimize this

I can't predict what happens to the water brought into the meat by brining.  Probably the same thing.