• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying fruit online

KennethT

I just joined a new group on Facebook called Fruit 4 Sale or something like that.... it basically connects growers/importers directly to consumers.

Today, a seller popped on to advertise fresh (not frozen) mangosteen imported from Guatemala.  Currently selling a 10# box for $130, including overnight shipping from Houston, TX which is about 50-75 fruits (there's 10-15 fruit per kilo).

I was thinking about buying a box as this is my favorite fruit, and I probably won't get to Asia (where they are sold all over in season) for another year.  The frozen ones seen normally in NY are probably even more expensive and have been frozen, which completely degrades them.

Does anyone in the NYC area want to go in on a box with me?  I'm afraid that I won't be able to enjoy 10# of them before they start to go bad....

$13/lb seems awfully steep for mangosteens...does that include delivery?

I see them range from $5-8/lb ($CDN) at the local Asian grocery store.  Fresh not frozen.

I find it very hit and miss with them, unless I am able to feel them (soft equator) and not see any yellowing (a sign they are going rotten) I tend to avoid as they just become expensive compost.

Perhaps I should start exporting....!? ;)

Yes, it includes overnight shipping from over 1000 miles away. I'd think that shipping is the majority of the cost. If I could get fresh ones locally I wouldn't even think of it, but the quality in the photos looks really good.