• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

On 8/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, Anna N said:

My last name is Nielsen. You are damn right it’s still a sandwich! Smørrebrød!

Of course you're right. I had some fun scouring a few books yesterday...

IMG_4693.thumb.jpeg.e559d84e9a4402ffd1926085fa77797c.jpeg

According to the book at lower left, smörgåsbord is composed of two words: smörgås (open sandwich) and bord (table) (this is from the Swedish book). The Danish word (which I was totally confusing with the Swedish word), as Anna mentions, is smørrebrød:

At their simplest, smørrebrød are open-faced sandwiches built on a thin layer of dense sourdough rye bread called rugbrød. The name of the sandwich itself comes from the words for butter (smør) and bread (brød).

It's all meant to confuse we non-Scandanavians. Or at least confuse me, but I'm glad I learned the difference. Just to confuse me further...

If you were in Norway, this would probably never happen: You’d have matpakke. Meaning “packed lunch” in Norwegian, the word refers to a specific, minimalist style of open-faced sandwich that’s easily assembled and eaten every single day by much of the country’s inhabitants.

IMG_4695.thumb.jpeg.8170a719e0975466acbf03ad3cef06b8.jpeg

So for lunch yesterday, I guess I made smørrebrød, and served them as part of a small smörgåsbord. And they say English is a hard language!

Open-faced tomato sandwiches (with the best tomatoes I'll probably get this year), bread buttered and Duked. Salted and peppered.

Gazpacho of tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño (mild), red onion, sherry vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Light garnish of avocado and chives.

weinoo

weinoo

On 8/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, Anna N said:

My last name is Nielsen. You are damn right it’s still a sandwich! Smørrebrød!

Of course you're right. I had some fun scouring a few books yesterday...

IMG_4693.thumb.jpeg.e559d84e9a4402ffd1926085fa77797c.jpeg

According to the book at lower left, smörgåsbord is composed of two words: smörgås (open sandwich) and bord (table) (this is from the Swedish book). The Danish word (which I was totally confusing with the Swedish word), as Anna mentions, is smørrebrød:

At their simplest, smørrebrød are open-faced sandwiches built on a thin layer of dense sourdough rye bread called rugbrød. The name of the sandwich itself comes from the words for butter (smør) and bread (brød).

It's all meant to confuse we non-Scandanavians. Or at least confuse me, but I'm glad I learned the difference. Just to confuse me further...

If you were in Norway, this would probably never happen: You’d have matpakke. Meaning “packed lunch” in Norwegian, the word refers to a specific, minimalist style of open-faced sandwich that’s easily assembled and eaten every single day by much of the country’s inhabitants.

IMG_4695.thumb.jpeg.8170a719e0975466acbf03ad3cef06b8.jpeg

So for lunch yesterday, I guess I made smørrebrød, and served them as part of a small smörgåsbord. And they say English is a hard language!

Open-faced tomato sandwiches (with the best tomatoes I'll probably get this year), bread buttered and Duked. Salted and peppered.

Gazpacho of tomatoes, cucumber, jalapeño (mild), red onion, sherry vinegar, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Light garnish of avocado and chives.