• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

qM6oVaC.jpg

Purple asparagus salad (tossed in gherkin brine). Watched in horror as half kilo of this pretty asparagus turned green in the steamer for another meal.

PmTqTbl.jpg

Sweetish mustard. Standard sharp mustard with a honey-whisky-orange jammy sauce added.

b5M2h5q.jpg

Cured salmon belly

XwH0bLR.jpg

How I am able to slice salmon so thin

3xa6oEA.jpg

Te4Ki41.jpg

Gc9ZcTI.jpg

5kWUwK1.jpg

On 5/3/2021 at 12:06 AM, weinoo said:

This is great.

Nice spread of food.  Where's it all sourced from?

On 5/3/2021 at 1:14 AM, liuzhou said:

They certainly aren't scoffed at in the UK. Kippers and bloaters are cold smoked herring; the former are gutted but the latter are not. Buckling are whole herring, gutted apart from roe or milt and then hot smoked.

I love me a kipper or bloater for breakfast.

Check out this map to see herring spawning locations and stocks. The herring I eat come almost entirely from the Noth Sea, and some from Danish _and_ Norwegian spawning grounds. The herring that come from the other 2 countries are specifically prepared "our way" and our standards so it can pass as our own, according to my fantastic herring book.

Young people here don't eat herring. Not posh enough for them. Too healthy/nutritious, too delicious. Don't want to have to contend with the bones.

We need another winter of 1945.

BonVivant

BonVivant

qM6oVaC.jpg

Purple asparagus salad (tossed in gherkin brine). Watched in horror as half kilo of this pretty asparagus turned green in the steamer for another meal.

PmTqTbl.jpg

Sweetish mustard. Standard sharp mustard with a honey-whisky-orange jammy sauce added.

b5M2h5q.jpg

Cured salmon belly

XwH0bLR.jpg

3xa6oEA.jpg

This is great.

They certainly aren't scoffed at in the UK. Kippers and bloaters are cold smoked herring; the former are gutted but the latter are not. Buckling are whole herring, gutted apart from roe or milt and then hot smoked.

Check out this map to see herring spawning locations and stocks. The herring I eat come almost entirely from the Noth Sea, and some from Danish _and_ Norwegian spawning grounds. The herring that come from the other 2 countries are specifically prepared "our way" and our standards so it can pass as our own, according to my fantastic herring book.

Young people here don't eat herring. Not posh enough for them. Too healthy, too delicious. Don't want to have to contend with the bones.

BonVivant

BonVivant

qM6oVaC.jpg

PmTqTbl.jpg

b5M2h5q.jpg

Cured salmon belly

XwH0bLR.jpg

3xa6oEA.jpg

This is great.

Check out this map to see herring spawning locations and stocks. The herring I eat come almost entirely from the Noth Sea, and some from Danish _and_ Norwegian spawning grounds. The herring that come from the other 2 countries are prepared "our way" and our standars so it can pass as our own, according to my fantastic herring book.

Young people here don't eat herring. Not posh enough for them. Too healthy, too delicious. Don't want to have to contend with the bones.